Sr. Director, Assistant Controller of Financial Reporting & Program Support
The Sr. Director, Assistant Controller of Financial Reporting and Program Support is responsible for appropriate application of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for PBS and PBS Foundation, oversees all financial reporting activities for the organizations and ensures compliance with all private and federal grant reporting and compliance requirements. The individual in this role will review new transactions/contracts to determine and document proper accounting treatment or review treatment proposed by staff. They will oversee the creation of the indirect cost proposal and related final analysis and reporting. This position will ensure consolidated entries are prepared properly and that all financial reporting packages and PBSF board materials are completed accurately and in a timely manner. This role will also serve as the primary financial statement audit contact and ensure all audit schedules are completed on a timely basis.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee the preparation of PBS's monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidated financial statements, including review of consolidating journal entries.
• Review monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting packages for both the PBS and PBS Foundation management and Board to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
• Oversee the preparation of the quarterly stand-alone financial statements of the PBS Foundation, PBS Enterprises LLC, and PBS Digital LLC.
• Coordinate and serve as the lead contact for the annual financial statement audits of PBS and PBS Foundation; prepare and review audit schedules, answer auditors' questions, and respond to audit requests in a timely manner.
• Serve as the primary resource for identification and resolution of potential technical accounting issues, including both recently issued standards and application of existing US GAAP. Ensure appropriate continued application of ASU 2018-08 Contributions Made and Received, ASU 2014-09 Revenue from Contracts with Customers, and ASU 2016-14 Not-for-Profit Entities and plan for adoption of ASU 2016-02 Leases.
• Partner with Finance team members and program staff to identify new transactions (contract/grant/donation) to determine and document proper accounting treatment for the transaction at the inception of the agreement.
• Review the indirect cost proposal and annual reporting to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
• Oversee the timely and accurate reporting of federal and non-federal contracts and grants in compliance with contract/grant, federal compliance requirements, and other regulations.
• Provide strong customer service on an individual basis or through team members by responding to all accounting inquiries in an accurate and timely manner from internal and external individuals.
• Develop and foster productive working relationships between accounting team, finance, and budgeting team members, and with program staff.
Requirements for success:
• Minimum of 8 years of accounting managerial experience and 3 years in not-for-profit accounting. Public accounting experience preferred.
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting. CPA license preferred.
• Knowledge of ASU 2018-08, 2014-09, and 2016-14 required.
• Experience with implementation of technical accounting guidance and demonstration of ability to document technical accounting positions preferred.
• Strong technical accounting knowledge, with emphasis on non-for-profit accounting standards, and the ability to document accounting positions.
• Proven knowledge of accounting theory and practice, particularly non-profit accounting, and reporting
• Ability to prepare consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications. Microsoft AX a plus.
• Experience with Uniform Guidance regulations and compliance
• Strong analytical skills: Attention to detail with focus on minimizing errors; ability to communicate corrections or changes in a proactive and productive manner.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills (written and verbal); ability to communicate proactively regarding project status, barriers, and possible solutions.
• Demonstrated experience managing, developing, and empowering staff; must be a strong team player.
• Highly organized with ability to complete multiple high priority tasks within set deadlines.
• Comfortable with change, and able to react to change productively and resolve conflicts.
• Ability to accurately apply professional knowledge, skills, expertise, and judgment to achieve excellent customer service in all interactions.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well with fellow team members and build gaps in relationships between divisions.
• Ability to collaborate with other divisions and provide excellent customer service to program areas.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d22j92-35-171-146-141-42 in your application.