Sr. Manager, Content Processing & Operations
Sr. Broadcast & IT Engineer
Team: Distribution Infrastructure & Operations
The Sr. Broadcast & IT Engineer will provide engineering support for maintenance technicians at the PBS Network Operations Center in order to maintain and repair virtual and on-premise systems for 24x7 television services. The Sr. Engineer will manage projects in the broadcast facility, in the virtual domain and on premise, and provide technical support and design of broadcast systems including design and development services, problem solving, and oversight of training and routine maintenance.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Lead and manage technology projects in support of the on-air operations.
• Support and provide guidance on IP-based broadcast systems including but not limited to troubleshooting and upgrading of systems.
• Assist in design and installation of systems and equipment.
• Document work in AutoCAD drawings and write-ups.
• Coordinate with equipment manufacturers and cloud service providers to organize demonstrations of new technologies and services.
• Provide analysis of new technologies, particularly advanced & emerging technologies which can be deployed to enhance or automate the PBS broadcast workflow process.
• Assist engineering managers with ongoing development of technical maintenance staff skills.
• Manage and monitor outside contractors working on technical systems.
• Develop and facilitate training sessions and documentation.
Requirements for success:
• Must understand high-definition digital TV signal theory and be able to apply it on a systems level.
• Conceiving, planning, designing, and supervising the installation of video broadcasting and production equipment, primarily in a file/IP based environment.
• Experience working with IP networking equipment and systems - configuration and troubleshooting of routers, switches and similar equipment.
• Experience working with PC and server hardware and systems – configuration and troubleshooting of workstations, servers, interface cards, and similar equipment.
• Comprehensive knowledge and experience working with broadcast systems in the AWS virtual environment and other cloud providers.
• Experience with streaming technologies.
• Excellent project management skills
• Excellent time management skills – must be able to prioritize tasks and adapt to rapidly changing system requirements with minimum supervision.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills – must be able to work comfortably in highly diverse, cross departmental teams and interact effectively with member station representatives.
• Proficiency in technical writing and presentations.
• Familiarity with AutoCAD and/or other high-end drafting software is required.
• Performing ''hands on'' work such as pulling cables, installing equipment, and related activities.
• Familiarity with applicable SMPTE, IEEE, ATSC and ITU standards.
• Experience in a broadcast environment is required.
• This position may require some evening, weekend work and ''on-call''.
• This position requires standing, and the ability to lift equipment.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw897y-18-206-238-77-42 in your application.
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.