Sr. Accountant, Foundation & Grants
The Sr. Accountant, Foundation & Grants supports the Sr. Manager, Foundation & Grants in maintaining grant reporting and compliance for all private and federal grants and performs the accounting for PBS Foundation. This position prepares monthly journal entries for PBS Foundation, including the entries to recognize amounts awarded to PBS, and assists in preparation of the PBS Foundation Quarterly Financial Reporting Package, GAAP Financials, and associated footnotes. This role also assists in tracking compliance activities under Uniform Guidance requirements, including subrecipient monitoring.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Assist in updating and maintaining a documented system of accounting policies and procedures which conforms with GAAP, and for federal grants also includes the Uniform Grant Guidance requirements.
• Prepare audit schedules for the annual Uniform Guidance audit for PBS, and PBS Foundation.
• Conduct all grant start-up and close-out procedures.
• Maintain a subledger of active subgrants to support amount of grants payable recorded in the PBS and PBS Foundation financial statements. Assist with the determination of accounting for subgrants under ASU 2018-08 at the time the award is made.
• Manage subrecipient monitoring procedures, including initial review and risk assessment of potential subrecipient's operational and organizational risk, review of subrecipients' Single Audits, and review of subrecipient audit findings.
• Prepare monthly grant financial reporting and required financial reporting for donors. Ensure all expense charged to grants are in line with Uniform Guidance (if applicable) and grant requirements.
• Assist with the preparation of the indirect cost rate proposal for PBS.
• Prepare routine PBS Foundation and Federal grant journal entries to ensure transactions are accurately represented in the financial statements.
• Assist with the preparation of the PBS Foundation Quarterly Financial Reporting Package and the PBS Foundation GAAP Financials and associated footnotes.
• Assist with the preparation of the materials for the PBS Foundation Board.
• Prepare schedules and provide supporting information for the preparation of the PBS Foundation Form 990.
Requirements for success:
• 3-4 years of audit or industry experience with not-for-profit accounting. Public accounting experience preferred.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business administration, or related field. CPA preferred. Experience with not-for-profit institutions preferred.
• Experience with technical accounting, with emphasis on non-for-profit accounting standards.
• Proven knowledge of accounting theory and practice, particularly non-profit accounting
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications. Microsoft Dynamics AX experience a plus.
• Experience with Uniform Guidance regulations and compliance
• Attention to detail with focus on minimizing errors; ability to communicate corrections or changes in a proactive and productive manner.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications (written and verbal) skills; ability to communicate proactively regarding project status, barriers, and possible solutions.
• Ability to accurately apply professional knowledge, skills, expertise, and judgment to achieve excellent customer service in all interactions.
• Must be able to work and collaborate in a team-oriented environment.
• Ability to work with other divisions and develop strong relationships with program areas.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r716kq-3-236-117-38-42 in your application.