POSITION TITLE: Solutions Architect II (Hybrid)
DEPARTMENT: Software, Development & Operations
CORPORATE AREA: Technology & Operations
SUPERVISOR: Vice President, Software Development & Operations
The Solutions Architect II is responsible for designing and implementing solution architectures based on the organization's business requirements and IT Strategies. The Solutions Architect II will serve as the architect and technical lead to guide team members through the full software development lifecycle for designing and developing microservice based solutions, in a collaborative, and fast paced environment. Candidate should have a holistic view of modern software architecture and development, taking into consideration operational costs, security, performance, application development and systems management. This role will work closely with product teams and functional leaders to manage the DevSecOps transition, while keeping the guiding principles of ''code once, deploy anywhere'' and maximizing the automation of code building, testing, scanning and deployment in a cloud-agnostic environment.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Define system-level architecture including high-level designs, architectural policies and principles, design and programming guidelines, implementation risks and mitigation measures, software development and integration strategies, and software configuration controls
• Provide technical leadership throughout entire SDLC, architecting and implementing object-oriented, clean, testable code to meet business and technology requirements
• Play a hands-on role in code development, code review, etc. for microservice development using Java and Spring Boot as well as other open source technologies
• Liaise with product and software development teams to plan, design, implement software solutions and strategy to meet architectural goals
• Consult on application or infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to architecture.
• Coach, train and mentor junior architects and engineers
• Contribute to and lead initiatives to evolve/enhance the Agile development methodologies
• Relay technical architecture and design plans and summaries to technical management, product development team and executives
• Lead identification, evaluation and advisory of software/hardware options, risks, costs versus benefits, system impacts, and technology priorities
Requirements for success:
• Bachelor's degree/MS in a technical field such as computer science, Information Technology, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Cloud Architecture or Engineering Certifications Preferred
• 8+ years of IT and business/industry work experience including architecture design and deployment, systems lifecycle management, software development, devops and testing
• Proven experience delivering large scale, highly available production software in a hybrid multi-cloud and on-premises environment.
• Expert level knowledge and experience with microservice design principles & supporting technologies
• Strong experience in microservice implementation, deployment, and troubleshooting
• Strong understanding of enterprise, solution and application architecture patterns and practices
• Experience with TOGAF or other Architecture Frameworks
• Experience with agile development methodologies and leading a team through implementation of DevSecOps best practices and CI/CD pipelines
• Excellent oral and written communications skills to effectively interact with staff and vendors via phone, email, and public speaking
• Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and design skills
• Ability to adapt to new goals, practices, etc., within a dynamic work environment
• Detail oriented and organized and able to balance multiple overlapping projects and deadlines
• Ability to work independently and with minimal oversight
• Consistently demonstrates respect for inclusion, diversity, and ethics
• Metrics driven, able to define, measure and monitor KPI's to meet desired outcomes
• Must be able to work in a hybrid work environment, with a combination of on-site and remote work.
• Experience implementing RESTful and Event Driven Microservice based applications using Java and Spring Boot
• Experience with software development tools including JetBrains IntelliJ & MS Visual Studio Code, Git, Maven and Sonatype Nexus.
• Experience with Docker and Kubernetes, as well as all aspects of Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Dockerfile, docker-compose and Helm Chart)
• Experience with DevSecOps and GitOps principles using GitHub and integrating security scanning within CI/CD pipelines. Experience implementing code/dependency scanning tools (ex. SonarQube, Aquasec Trivy) and secrets management (CyberArk Conjur) into development pipeline.
• Experience writing unit tests with Junit (or similar frameworks) and testing with API testing tools (ex. ReadyAPI, Postman)
• Experience with messaging tools such as Apache ActiveMQ, Artemis and Kafka.
• Experience with public cloud platforms and designing cloud native solutions (e.g. AWS, Azure)
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmoy52-34-239-173-144-42 in your application.