Technician, Media Operations Center
Software Engineer II
Team: Software Development & Operations
The Software Engineer II (SE II) contributes to full systems life cycle development (SDLC) for the core middleware services that enable integration of PBS-to-PBS internal systems, as well as between PBS internal systems and external vendor platforms. S/he designs, codes, and tests systems integration software to solve a wide variety of use cases. The SE II also maintains existing Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) solutions, including monitoring, troubleshooting and deploying updates and patches. In addition, s/he troubleshoots application infrastructure issues, such as servers and third-party services that are part of the ESB ecosystem.
The SE II collaborates across PBS teams to elicit system integration requirements and assists the ESB team in planning and designing solutions. S/he works in coordination with the ESB Application Architect to translate business requirements into elegant and flexible technical solutions that adhere to established design and coding practices are observed.
The SE II works with a high degree of autonomy to solve complex business and technical problems. S/he proactively resolves issues with minimal oversight and identifies areas for ESB team and infrastructure improvement.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Requirements Analysis
• Gathers and analyzes requirements related to PBS enterprise integration solutions.
• Documents business and technical requirements.
• Identifies opportunities for and develops software prototypes that could help the ESB team better understand system integration requirements, as well as mitigate risks and provide realistic and accurate level-of-effort (LOE) estimates.
• Software Development
• Designs and develops complex custom enterprise software integration solutions, leveraging a variety of technologies, including Talend ESB, Java, Spring, Apache Camel, JMS, Amazon Web Services, REST and relational databases.
• Implements enhancements and bug fixes for existing integration software.
• Participates in source code management and often takes a lead role in the release planning process.
• Documents software designs.
• Documents integration test scenarios.
• Tests integration components using testing tools such as Postman and SOAP UI.
• Operational Support
• Deploys new software components, enhancements, patches and systems configuration updates across environments.
• Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and resolves complex issues and defects at all levels, including ESB software components and all ESB supporting infrastructure.
• Reviews and maintains documentation related to problem resolution.
Requirements for success:
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in software development and operations, delivering flexible solutions in an agile manner.
• Experience designing and developing enterprise-class backend software solutions.
• Experience troubleshooting and diagnosing enterprise-class system issues in production environments.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, System Analysis or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Relevant software development/technology certification desirable.
• Technical Skills/Abilities:
• Experience developing Java-based backend enterprise integration solutions is required.
• Experience deploying and troubleshooting applications hosted on Linux is required.
• Experience with SQL is required.
• Experience developing REST APIs is required.
• Experience developing event-driven systems is required.
• Experience with at least one API testing tool, such as SoapUI and/or Postman, is required.
• Experience with Git version control system is required.
• Experience with a messaging system, such as ActiveMQ, Kafka, or RabbitMQ, is required.
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) foundational technologies is required.
• Experience with any or all of the following is highly desirable: Spring, Maven, Docker, Microservice Architecture, SOAP APIs.
• Experience with one or more of the following technologies is a plus: Apache Camel, Apache Karaf, Elasticsearch, Logstash.
• Experience with an ESB platform, such as Talend ESB or Mule ESB, is a plus.
• Other Skills/Abilities
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and design skills.
• Ability to adapt to new goals, practices, etc., within a dynamic work environment.
• Good organizational skills with the ability to balance overlapping deadlines.
• Ability to collaborate as a team player with all levels of staff and external stakeholders.
• Ability to provide mentorship to junior engineers.
• Ability to effectively complete assigned tasks with minimal guidance and supervision.
• Proactively stays current in requisite skills within job scope and incorporates knowledge and other feedback into assigned work.
• Consistently demonstrates respect for inclusion, diversity, and ethics
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.