Position Title: Senior Manager of Technology, Services (Remote)
Department: Product & Technology
Corporate Area: PBS KIDS
Supervisor: Sr. Director, Technology
PBS KIDS is looking for a Senior Manager of Technology to oversee the engineering efforts behind our APIs, cloud services, and backend systems. PBS KIDS is on the cutting edge of content delivery and analytics, and this role will help shape systems that serve millions of children every day.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Some projects you will be part of
• A serverless data collector and pipeline that helps researchers analyze the learning impacts of game play
• An A/B testing system for games and websites
• A GraphQL API that enables user facing applications to access meaningful data across many systems
• Serverless state machines that keep user facing content up-to-date and available
What you will be doing
• Manage, mentor, and grow a team of software engineers
• Architect cloud solutions and execute technical approaches for APIs, data pipelines, analytics systems, state machines, event busses, and more
• Pioneer serverless approaches to distributed data systems using GraphQL
• Partner with the Directors of Technology for Web and Gaming to track inter-dependencies and architect solutions to cross-product problems
• Act as a Player-Coach by contributing some code on projects. We expect about 25% of your time to be coding.
• Oversee contractors, vendors, and consultants
• Prototype new features or applications
• Research new technologies, tools, and processes
• Collaborate closely with product owners, project managers, and design leads to establish technical requirements, estimate levels of effort, and plan technical execution
Technologies you should love
• GraphQL (We currently use Apollo)
• Amazon Web Services (Lambda, Step Functions, API Gateway, Kinesis, and more)
• Build processes and tools like GitHub Actions, Jenkins, and Bash scripts
• Serverless technologies like Lambda, Step Functions, and API Gateway
• Web technologies like HTML5, CSS3, and progressive web apps
Requirements for success:
• 1 – 3 years' experience in engineering management, mentorship, or technical leadership
• Experience managing remote teams of contractors and vendors
• Comfort working on projects that perform under high traffic volume
• Excellent communication skills across technical and non-technical groups
• Experience juggling multiple projects and priorities while maintaining a big picture view
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1zpqv-3-235-65-220-42 in your application.