Senior Director, Multiplatform Programming & Strategy
DEPARTMENT: General Audience Programming
MANAGER: Chief Programming Executive & General Manager
PBS Digital Studios is the digital programming and content division that reports into General Audience Programming. Utilizing best-in-class strategies across content and distribution platforms, PBS Digital Studios brings an industry-competitive approach to the business of public media. Our team works cross-functionally to create high quality, diverse video and audio programming for audiences across multiple platforms. Delivering on average over 50 million views per month, the team currently produces 300+ digital videos per year in relation to core PBS genres like culture, natural history, science, documentary, health & wellness, and arts.
The Senior Director, Multiplatform Programming & Strategy is responsible for identifying opportunities to expand reach and implement differentiated audience acquisition strategies to advance the legacy of PBS to the next generation of fans and supporters of public media. The Senior Director leads a diverse digital portfolio strategy and digital programming development efforts to achieve audience, engagement, and revenue objectives for the public media ecosystem. This role is a high-profile advocate for innovation across the PBS system, facilitating and inspiring a myriad of stakeholders to explore inventive and groundbreaking approaches to fulfilling the PBS mission through digital programming, audience development and related business initiatives.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee programming and development for PBS Digital Studios audiences, creating digital-first video, social content, and audio content of original, cultural and franchise IP that deliver on the brands' iconic attributes and optimize appeal across multiple platforms.
• Lead an internal team with direct reports and consultants, as well as an extended network of 40+ producers, on-camera talent, audience development personnel, vendors, and other production professionals.
• Works cross-functionally with PBS Programming editorial leads, PBS Digital & Marketing, PBS Foundation, Corporate Communications, and other PBS departments to maximize resources to deliver best in-class digital-first experiences to new and expanding audiences.
• Drive PBS business goals through a strategic, integrated programming calendar with a wide variety of digital video-led and podcast ideas - from large-scale productions to nimble concepts, packaged for US distribution and/or consumer revenue business models.
• Drive budget decisions and continuously evolve revenue models, including grant proposals and a robust sponsorship strategy that includes partnering with media buyers and brand product managers to sell against a large inventory of digital-first video and audio content.
• Manages deal terms with producers, talent, member stations, PBS Distribution, and PBS series for original content and acquisitions across entertainment formats (digital video, podcasts), IP rights and distribution and/or licensing.
• Serve as the Executive Producer of PBS's original digital programming, oversee publishing operations, and manage audience development integration with ultimate responsibility for produced content's adherence to PBS Editorial Standards, Standards & Practices, and third-party platforms best practices.
• Leverage audience targets, analytics data, digital trends, user behaviors, competitive audits and other data to create new programming, and articulate best use of digital features of third-party platforms like YouTube, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram.
• Increase the volume and variety of PBS digital video and podcast content across multiple platforms, including OTT and distribution to local markets and Member Stations, leveraging a firm understanding of digital metrics and data analytics.
• Work closely with PBS Member Stations to increase the production and publishing of digital programming, and enhanced community engagement across public media. This includes, but is not limited to, managing multiple content sub-grants that allow PBS member stations to produce programming in connection with PBS's core genres, tentpole events, and special projects.
• Manage digital transformation efforts and build digital capacity within the PBS system by collaborating with PBS department leaders to align curricula, distribution, and measurement strategies to deliver scalable in-person and virtual learning experiences and increase member stations' value and connection to their local audiences.
• Serve as a spokesperson for PBS digital programming strategy, attending speaking engagements, conferences, and interviews to help drive media coverage, business development and audience growth.
Requirements for success:
• Bachelor's degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of skills and training required.
• Some Master's degree work desired.
• 10 years progressively responsible experience in linear and digital content production, including experience leading a team with demonstrated success as well as experience in audience development, social media strategies, paid media, and SEO marketing.
• Extensive editorial experience developing, long, medium and short-form programming for television networks, cable, streaming and for the web.
• Experience developing grant proposals and applications, attracting funding support, and fostering relationships with funding entities.
• Experience in public media or other non-profit or public policy organization is helpful.
• Entrepreneurial, strategic and holistic mindset, eagerness to learn and build, and innovative with desire to differentiate PBS content and services.
• Existing relationships with representatives of third-party platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Amazon and others.
• Understanding of business development practices, including talent management, contract negotiations, and deal flow management.
• Established creative sensibility, with deep experience in concept creation and execution of digital videos that have driven deep, organic engagement across multiple platforms.
• Strong quantitative analysis skills (including Excel-based financial modeling) and the ability to consider and analyze a broad range of factors and to make decisions, design plans, and develop tactics.
• A commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion as a core principle of the organization's work.
• An understanding and knowledge of challenges affecting public media preferred.
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyx4o0-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.