POSITION TITLE: Master Control Operator (Standby, Freelance) (On-site)
DEPARTMENT: Distribution Operations & Engineering
CORPORATE AREA: Digital & Marketing
SUPERVISOR: Director, Network Operations Center
Provide operational support of the PBS distribution systems located at the PBS Technology Center in Springfield, Virginia on an as-needed basis.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain operational support of systems to meet the PBS goal of 99.95% on-air reliability. (95%)
• Provide support for master control, ingest and Quality Control (QC) functions.
• Monitor multiple program streams fed via satellite to PBS member stations.
• Report issues pertaining to media transfers and missing media.
• Respond, resolve, and escalate system issues (on air & off air).
• Modify automation schedules (playlist and record) to accommodate last minute changes.
• Monitor live record functions controlled by automation.
• Monitor the technical performance of the automation system and associated devices.
• Monitor the technical performance of the video servers and associated playout and record ports.
• Coordinate tape ingests and any last-minute schedule changes with other PBS T&O units and departments
• Log operational problems by issuing an air discrepancy report or equipment trouble report.
• Maintain transmission logs.
• Perform technical evaluations on program submissions to determine if the material conforms to the PBS Technical Operating Specifications (TOS).
• Write, review, and update operational SOP's (on a quarterly basis).
• Participate in meetings to review, update, or modify operational workflows or procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned (5%)
Requirements for success:
• Bachelor's degree in Communications or related discipline or industry experience
• Minimum two years of prior master control experience in a broadcast or cable television environment.
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Knowledge of analog and digital television, video, audio, control, automation, files, video servers, switchers, and other television equipment.
• Knowledge of public television including the needs of PBS, member stations and producers.
• Knowledge and experience with the following systems or equivalent:
• Omnibus automation
• BroadView traffic system
• Miranda i-Control monitoring & control system
• ScheduALL resource scheduling system
• Ability to work independently on assignments and report back on progress.
• Excellent time management skills – must be able to prioritize tasks and adapt to rapidly changing system requirements with minimum supervision.
• Excellent stress and crisis management skills – must be able to make informed and appropriate decisions under pressure.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills – must be able to work comfortably in highly diverse, cross departmental teams and interact effectively with member station representatives.
• Experience in a broadcast or cable television environment is required.
• Experience in public broadcasting preferred.
• This position is shift based and will require evenings, overnights, holidays and weekend work.
• This position requires standing, and the ability to lift physical equipment.
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
Upon hire the official job title will be NOC Technician (Standby.)
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk1p94-18-232-179-5-42 in your application.