Java Engineer II, Software Integration (Hybrid)
DEPARTMENT: Applications & Systems Integration
CORPORATE AREA: Technology & Operations
SUPERVISOR: Director, Applications & Systems Integration
LOCATION: Alexandria, Virginia (Hybrid)
PBS must modernize and re-design its internal content management processes, workflows, and supporting technology infrastructure to enable PBS to continue its mission to engage the American public through content which educates, inspires, and entertains. The PBS Technology and Operations (T&O) team is tasked with working with internal and external stakeholders to lead the effort to accelerate the transition from legacy internal media processes and platforms to modern practices and systems. The desired outcome is a supporting technology infrastructure that is sustainable, and that can be more easily adapted to different business needs as PBS and the Public Media System moves forward into the future, and as technological innovation continues to drive our industry.
We are seeking a full-time Software Engineer to join our growing Applications & Systems Integration engineering team operating in a hybrid model out of our Alexandria office. Our work supports the PBS mission and contributes to enabling PBS to meet viewers on an ever more diverse set of technologies and service providers to view PBS content. We focus on designing and implementing backend system integration and automation within PBS' media supply chain. We create solutions that integrate systems, data, and APIs to support process automation and workflow orchestration. The Software Engineer II will contribute to the full Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) working in multiple product lines that span across both on-premises and cloud-based solutions. The resource will be engaged in building backend services to integrate both commercial software and home-grown solutions.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Work with product owners and teams to understand desired application capabilities
• Design, write, unit test, document and deliver high quality code
• Create software products, features, and enhancements from technical design through production deployment and support
• Fully test all developed components individually and within the overall application context using automated unit and Integration tests.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently or in close team environments
Required for success:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field; or combination of education and relevant work experience
• 5+ years of professional experience in software engineering roles using Java, Spring/Spring Boot
• Experienced with designing/developing and integrating backend development such as service-oriented, message/event driven and loosely coupled solutions, including REST/SOAP APIs
• Experience with Spring and Spring Boot Frameworks, creating REST APIs, and message/event driven architecture using ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, etc.
• Define and describe technical designs using Lucid Chart, Visio, etc.
• Experience with Agile software development methodologies and ceremonies and working within an Agile Scrum environment
• Experience with a relational database; modern build and deployment processes and tools
• Experience writing and executing unit tests using jUnit, etc.
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw110p-3-236-146-28-42 in your application.