Engineer III, DevOps
Team: Software Development & Operations
PBS is a membership organization that, in partnership with its member stations, serves the American public with programming and services of the highest quality, using media to educate, inspire, entertain and express a diversity of perspectives. PBS empowers individuals to achieve their potential and strengthen the social, democratic, and cultural health of the US
This is an Engineer position within the Infrastructure & Operations group, which is part of the Software Development & Operations department, which in turn is part of the larger Technology and Operations corporate area at PBS lead by the CTO. The Infrastructure and Operations group is responsible for Cloud Infrastructure, Compute, Network, Messaging, Storage, Virtualization, Service Desk, Desktop Applications, SaaS Applications, Mobile, Cyber Security Operations, Telephony and Disaster Recovery.
The Engineer III, DevOps is responsible for the design, development, testing, and deployment of infrastructure and services in the AWS Cloud. They will bring their knowledge, experiences, best practices, and a collaborative attitude to help design and implement DevOps initiatives. To be successful, they must effectively communicate with our development and operations teams to orchestrate the creation of resilient solutions that can scale in the cloud.
The Engineer III must also be able to perform systems administration tasks in PBS's hybrid datacenter; assisting the operations team in supporting Windows and Linux servers running on highly available VMware in the datacenter. Participation in an on-call rotation is required.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
Area of Expertise (DevOps)
• Establish, maintain, and evolve concepts in continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) pipelines for existing and new services.
• Write clean, stable, and safe code in short time frames and frequent increments.
• Collaborate with Software Development and Operations teams to improve automation of workflows, infrastructure, code testing and deployment.
• Identify systems that can benefit from automation, monitoring and infrastructure-as-code and develop and scale products and services accordingly.
• Brainstorm new solutions and updates to continuously challenge and improve products, performance, system/data backup, security and customer experience.
• Remain up-to-date on industry trends, share knowledge among teams and abide by industry best practices for configuration management and automation.
• Provide systems administration for Enterprise Linux RedHat environments, including design, implementation, maintenance and troubleshooting of highly complex systems
• Successfully implement new systems on schedule, ensuring best practices are followed
• Deploy servers for new or existing projects; keep deployed systems up-to-date with OS, hardware and software patches and upgrades
• Use knowledge and expertise to research and resolve complex technical problems
• Recommend new and/or enhanced designs to increase effectiveness and efficiency
• Troubleshoot servers by identifying problems and finding resolutions; recommend and implement changes so that future problems are prevented
• Develop automated procedures to reduce repetitive tasks and processes
• Document system deployments, configurations and processes
• Coordinate with customers to upgrade, retire or consolidate applications and server hardware as appropriate
• Demonstrate professionalism in response to customer requests for infrastructure resources and solutions
• Provide third-level support for the PBS Solution Center (help-desk)
Requirements for success:
• Eight years professional experience in DevOps or Systems Engineer
• Five to eight years professional experience Amazon Web Services
• Eight years professional experience in RedHat Linux and GitHub
• Five to eight years' experience troubleshooting and diagnosing enterprise-class system issues in production environments.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering a related field, or equivalent work experience.
• AWS certifications desirable.
• Prior experience with AWS services and products; EC2, IAM, ELB, Lambda, Step Functions, Route 53, ECS, RDS, etc
• Prior experience with source control; GitHub, Bitbucket
• Prior experience with systems administration; Linux, Windows Server
• Prior experience with Infrastructure as code; Puppet, Terraform, CloudFormation, Docker
• Prior experience with CI/CD pipeline; GitLab, Jenkins
• Prior experience with databases; MySQL, MSSQL, PostgreSQL
• Prior networking experience; Firewalls, NAT, Ports, subnetting, VPC, VPN's.
• Prior experience in operational stability; HA, clusters, backups
• Prior systems administration experience in RedHat Linux
• Systems administration in Windows Server and VMWare ESXi
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and design skills.
• Ability to effectively complete assigned tasks with minimal guidance and supervision
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d55607-3-236-51-151-42 in your application.