Director, Production Management and Business Operations (Hybrid)
DEPARTMENT: Production Management & Business Operations
STATUS: Full Time/Regular/Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Sr. Director & Head of Production, Management & Operations
Production Management & Business Operations works alongside internal stakeholders and with PBS member stations and producers to facilitate the creation of multiplatform content. The group operates within two prime areas of focus:
1. Business Operations: It functions as an organizational linchpin with a broad reach across business units, including: Programming/Digital Studios, Digital, Marketing, Communications, Programming Engagement, Learning Media, Distribution, Business Affairs & Legal, and Finance. Externally, it interfaces with key funding partner organizations, producers, and PBS stations.
2. Production Management: it partners with in-house content teams, PBS stations, and the domestic and international production community. In this respect, the group oversees production logistics and PBS' financial investments for all content in active negotiation, development, production, delivery, and project reconciliation.
Working on assigned projects and with producers, the Director, Production Management & Business Operations supports the group's objectives by providing service and support to internal stakeholders and the production community. The Director is required to perform 360-degree effective communication and relationship building; provide experienced guidance to all partners and key support for the Head of Department. The Director is a self-starter, with the ability to prioritize multiple concurrent high-profile projects across teams, while consulting and aligning efforts with leadership.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Ensures producer proposals are in-line with expectations; that they represent value and meet with internal ambitions. Ensures proposals comply with industry and PBS standards and practices.
• Works across internal business units to determine work scope on a project-by-project basis.
• Consults and collaborates with partner organizations and PBS stations -- working through requirements and managing relationships effectively. Interfaces with the PBS Foundation, and with PBS Distribution, as applicable.
• In partnership, moves assigned projects through cross-department meetings and systems, and towards successful contracting. Consults with internal constituents and tailors project requirements.
• Consults with appropriate business units on timelines for series renewals.
• Assesses deal viability and structure through effective analyses of producer assumptions; production budgets; funding plans; staffing & production schedules; cash flows; payment schedules; and content deliverables as they relate to agreed editorial proposals.
• Provides recommendations for contingency planning, and for formal adjustments to contracts.
• Consults with internal stakeholders to ensure appropriate technical delivery, and for effective contracting of all project materials.
• Prepares and finalizes negotiated and internally approved production exhibits for contract.
• In collaboration with Programming, conducts project ''kick-off'' and ''check-in'' meetings with internal and external production partners.
• Responsible for tracking production logistics and project financial health across all assigned commissions, co-productions, and licensed deals. Engages from development to delivery and acceptance -- problem solving as needed.
• As required, conducts on-site production assessments; provides support for production audits.
• Consults with Programming on editorial milestones satisfaction, title approval, key art, etc. elevating issues to the Head of Department, as necessary.
• Reviews and makes recommendations to manager for breakage/overage requests; implements formal approval paperwork for execution.
• Supervises and verifies cross-department milestone completion with teams throughout the organization. Initiates payment authorizations in compliance with contract.
• Reviews and make recommendations for 'Payment Ahead of Milestone' or 'Out of Cycle' payment requests. Implements approval process accordingly.
• Via producer interim financial reporting, oversees budget compliance, and production cash flow requirements. Reconciles complex final financial expense and revenue reporting against contract for compliant closeout.
• Assists with development and maintenance of Production Management & Business Operations third party vendor relationships (as applicable); ensures these are available to producers via the PBS Producer's Guide. Manages deal processing within systems.
• Works on assigned specialty assignments, including collaborating with Finance to perform historical analysis of production expenditure and strategic cash flow forecasting.
Requirements for success:
• Minimum 8-10 years of experience as a Line Producer/Production Manager/Unit Manager; developing, budgeting, analyzing and negotiating production proposals; OR an equivalent tenure in broadcast operations and/or broadcast Production Management to include 'direct to digital'.
• Excellent knowledge of and experience with content production logistics and production scheduling; knowledge of rights issues and clearance requirements; of production payroll practices and industry insurance requirements; familiarity with guild and union requirements; talent negotiations; and a comprehensive understanding of industry standards and practices.
• BS/BA in Film/TV/Digital Production – or – equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proficient with: Microsoft 365, with high proficiency in Excel. Movie Magic experience a plus.
• Strong interpersonal and business communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail. Team player. Problem solver.
• Ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
• Previous experience of working within the public television system or for a non-profit organization helpful, but not essential.
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpw21x-44-213-63-130-42 in your application.