Paramount Networks International, is comprised of many of the world's most popular multimedia entertainment brands, including MTV, MTV LIVE HD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, Paramount Channel, BET and more. Paramount brands reach more than 3.8 billion cumulative subscribers in 180+ countries and territories via more than 200 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties, in 40 languages.
Is this the role for you?
We are looking for an enthusiastic and collaborative Legal Counsel to join the Content Legal & Compliance team in London.
What will you be doing?
• Working with producers and commissioners to provide programme and online content legal advice on a broad range of issues including defamation, contempt, privacy, data protection and intellectual property (including copyright).
• Understanding editorial ambition and direction to advise effectively on both pre- and post-broadcast and online publication across multiple genres, including live output, current affairs and news programming.
• Analysing and balancing the risks involved in the production and publication process and identifying potential consequences including regulatory sanctions and/or legal liabilities.
• Collaborating with the rest of the Business & Legal Affairs team and the UK business to work within governance protocols, exercising appropriate judgment and seeking guidance or input from others (where required).
• Advising on regulatory issues including child protection and contributor duty of care issues, commercial references in programmes, election broadcasting and other matters that arise from time-to-time.
• Supporting colleagues with commercial compliance queries relating to advertising campaigns, sponsorship arrangements and idents, live events, competitions, cross-promotions and multi-media projects across all Paramount platforms and brands (including social media channels).
• Understanding editorial ethics affecting programmes and online content.
• Supporting or undertaking reviews into programme and online content issues pre-and post-broadcast.
• Preparing responses to complaints and regulatory investigations including Ofcom standards or fairness and privacy complaints.
• Reviewing, maintaining and updating policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes.
• Attending and advising at recordings, including for 'live' and 'as live' programmes (some travel may be required).
• Supporting the training of internal staff and production companies on legal and compliance issues affecting programme and online content.
• Pre- and post-litigation management including instructing counsel and external solicitors.
• Liaising and working closely with commissioners and production companies as well as the press, programme management, business affairs, creative, marketing and government relations teams.
• Keeping up-to-date on the evolution of the law and practice in this area and supporting the preparation and updating of know-how for the team.
• Embracing the 'One Paramount' approach and encouraging collaboration and team working.
• Being an ambassador for all Paramount channels and platforms, internally and externally.
• Adopting and promoting the Paramount values and supporting a culture of inclusion.
What are we looking for?
• Qualified lawyer (barrister or solicitor) with relevant PQE (8+ years for Senior Legal Counsel).
• Experience of programme legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate to the creation and publication of content in the public service and commercial broadcasting space.
• In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code.
• Experience of advising producers and commissioners pre- and post-broadcast on media law and regulation in relation to programmes and/or online and/or other media content.
• Experience of media litigation – defendant and/or claimant work.
• Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements.
• An approachable, professional persona with the ability to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment.
• A skilled communicator comfortable adapting your style to be effective at all levels.
• A good listener, willing to take on all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way.
• Solid attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines, providing an excellent service to key stakeholders around the business.
• Creative problem-solving skills with strong and sound judgement in evaluating legal and editorial issues.
• A willingness to learn quickly, adapt when appropriate and to apply new learnings to deliver practical solutions.
• A committed and resilient team player with an ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
If you have any difficulties in applying or require access needs arising from a mobility or any other impairment please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0207 555 1234. We can then ensure your experience and visit is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4enez-3-239-6-58-42 in your application.