Principal Video Software Engineer - CDN (Remote)
Paramount+, a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service from ViacomCBS, combines live sports, breaking news, and a mountain of entertainment. The premium streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel. The service is also the streaming home to unmatched sports programming, including every CBS Sports event, from golf to football to basketball and more, plus exclusive streaming rights for major sports properties, including some of the world's biggest and most popular soccer leagues. Paramount+ also enables subscribers to stream local CBS stations live across the US in addition to the ability to stream ViacomCBS Streaming's other live channels: CBSN for 24/7 news, CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis, and ET Live for entertainment coverage.
The Video Technology Group develops industry-leading online and mobile video delivery systems and IP for Paramount+, CBSSports.com, CBS News, Viacom and more. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team serves as the company's information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This is a phenomenal opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work! Does this sound like you?
As a Principal Video Software Engineer, you'll work with a team of talented engineers supporting systems that enable CDN delivery and operational monitoring of some of the largest live streaming events in the industry! You'll be responsible for maintaining and extending mature automation, load-balancing and observability products at scale supporting a large volume of live events. You'll have the opportunity to work closely with our product teams and other engineering groups throughout the company to ensure we're fitting the best technology to the needs of the business. You will be hands-on reviewing and producing code, architecture proposals, test plans, and more. As Principal Video Software Engineer, you will mentor engineers on your team while promoting a collaborative, inclusive culture. You'll emphasize the importance of building a maintainable solutions by further establishing and defending our standards for code quality.
• Architect, maintain and improve our Multi CDN configuration management API. Integrate with additional CDNs, add functionality, assist in integration with third-party systems such as dynamic packaging and transcoding service. Ensure code is production-ready and can be easily built upon to expand the list of supported CDNs.
• Evolve our long-term strategy for CDN steering. Build APIs to productionize an existing traffic shaping platform and re-think the underpinning architecture with scalability, performance and cost in mind.
• Contribute to industry initiatives such as standardizing QoE (CMCD+CMSD), CDN Log Data, and CDN configuration APIs
• Mentor a team of talented video engineers as they implement features in a wide range of CDN and data services
• Contribute to the evolution of our existing CDN management API, traffic steering platform, and observability platform
• Apply Big Data and cloud technologies to design, develop, and evolve scalable and fault-tolerant distributed components
• Foster and contribute an engineering culture that values software quality and maintainability
What you bring to the team:
• 7+ years of experience designing and implementing maintainable, scalable, and pragmatic software solutions from the ground up
• A passion for software and systems architecture with the desire to foster a strong, cohesive, and inclusive team
• Experience in CDN switching technologies with the ability to think outside of the box to deliver innovative post-DNS traffic shaping solutions
• Experience designing and deploying user-friendly, scalable APIs
• Strong working knowledge of internet protocols and delivery methodologies (CDNs, HTTP, DNS, BGP)
• Familiarity with common codecs, containers, and standards for video/audio
• Strong understanding of ABR player behavior and how to optimize for client-side QoE via server-side (CDN and origin) configuration
• Knowledge of CDN APIs and their use in DevOps workflows
• Familiarity with emerging CDN log data specifications/standards (CMSD, VQT)
• Experience with video player analytics integrations and troubleshooting (Conviva, Mux, NPAW, CMCD)
• Expertise with major Big Data Solutions like Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra, Sqoop, etc.
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq5246-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.