Legal Counsel, Acquisitions & Commissions
London, United Kingdom
Legal Counsel, Acquisitions & Commissions (Paramount +)
Paramount + is coming to the UK… and we couldn't be more excited!
We are a global content powerhouse and our house of brands including Showtime, Paramount Pictures, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon have shaped current events and pop culture for decades. Our content arsenal includes some of the largest and most valuable collections of entertainment in the world. Ever heard of Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Transformers, Dexter, Billions, Your Honour, The Good Fight, iCarly, Rugrats, Smurfs, Star Trek? Thought so…
All our best premium and well-known content in one service, with great local content too? It's going to be epic!
We've got a mountain of entertainment and now we need your talent to bring it all to life. You could be in right at the start of Paramount + here in the UK and be part of our aspiration to being a leader in streaming. Not only that, you'll be helping to bring premium entertainment and content to millions.
Ready to play your part?
PLEASE BE AWARE THIS ROLE IS A 12 MONTH FTC
Is this the role for you?
We are looking for enthusiastic, flexible, commercially minded media lawyers to join the BALA team in London supporting the commissioning and acquisition of scripted and unscripted content for exhibition and exploitation across all of our linear and non-linear streaming services (such as Channel 5, Pluto and Paramount+). You will work with a broad range of commissioners and third party suppliers, from production companies to studios, licensors and rights holders in the UK and internationally. You will review and advise on, negotiate, draft and deliver development and production agreements, content licences and ancillary contracts enabling us to deliver exciting, entertaining and inspiring content to our audiences.
What will you be doing?
• Drafting, negotiating and advising on development, acquisition and commissioning agreements and/or other ancillary contracts (e.g. presenter agreements, work for hire production agreements, access agreements and programme finance documents)
• Reviewing chain of title documents and underlying rights agreements; advising on commitments made in Editorial/Commissioning Specification Forms
• Guiding and advising the VCNI acquisitions and commissioning teams on rights and legal matters (including but not limited to new and emerging media functionalities, utility and usage rules, holdbacks, video-on-demand services, copyright, music, press and promotional activities rights and clearances etc.);
• Establishing, maintaining and enhancing relationships with key stakeholders both internally and externally, such as the Hollywood studios and production companies/groups in the UK and internationally
• Reviewing and advising on the underlying clearances and/or cross-brand content sharing of existing VCNI programming (for both UK and international exploitation)
• Working with and supporting the BALA Content Legal & Compliance, Corporate & Commercial and MML (Music & Media Licensing) teams as necessary
• Reviewing and updating company precedents where necessary
• Advising on changes in law likely to materially affect VCNI's business activities
• Advising on intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright and passing off
• Advising in respect of exploitation of ancillary programme rights (publishing, merchandising, VOD, DTO, DVD etc.)
• Liaising with outside legal counsel, where required
• Flexibility to work on ad hoc tasks and projects as required by all C5/Viacom brands
What are we looking for?
• Qualified lawyers and/or experienced paralegals with a range of post qualification experience and a demonstrable track record of practicing commercial and entertainment law in the media industry.
• Hands-on experience of reviewing, advising on, negotiating and drafting a broad range of media deals, particularly in the realms of television and film
• A solid knowledge of rights issues, contract law, copyright law and distribution
• A basic knowledge and understanding of media compliance laws and issues, including the Ofcom Code
• Excellent drafting skills – ability to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts and produce working drafts (both with and without reliance on precedent) to meet business requirements
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to interact with people at all levels within and outside an organisation as well as to present complex legal advice and conclusions concisely
• An ability to deal with a large and varied workload, often under critical time pressure
• The ability to be a team player with energy, drive and resilience
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills, combined with the ability to see the strategic perspective and the imagination to find a creative solution to business issues
• A positive and constructive attitude – able to deal with pressurised situations in a calm and effective manner
We offer an inclusive environment where you can really be yourself and find your niche. You'll get to work alongside streaming platforms you can be proud of, with content that touches millions of lives. Plus, you can learn about the things we're doing to make the industry more sustainable, and enjoy lots of perks:
• A monthly streaming fund
• All the health and financial benefits you'd expect, and some you wouldn't
• Flexibility to own the way you work
• Mental health activities and support
• All manner of BBQs, socials and events
Find out more about Paramount + from leaders
What are you waiting for? Put in your application!
Our values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
• Optimism & Determination: We share a positive belief that we can navigate and thrive in the landscape ahead
• Inclusivity & Collaboration: We embrace new and diverse voices, act with care and work together to capture opportunities and manage through challenges
• Agility & Adaptability: We think entrepreneurially, are resilient in change and move quickly to anticipate and create what's next
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer.
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. We work hard to ensure that everyone with whom we engage receive equal protection from all types of harm or abuse, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity; an obligation we take very seriously.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer, and we take our responsibility in safeguarding children and adults seriously. We guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria of the role applied for. For those who will be required to interact with children, we will carry out background checks prior to joining.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
If you have any difficulties in applying or require access needs arising from a mobility or any other impairment please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0207 555 1234. We can then ensure your experience and visit is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d820zq-3-238-204-167-42 in your application.