Engineering Manager, Video (Remote)
Paramount+, a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service from Paramount Global, combines live sports, breaking news, and a mountain of entertainment. The premium streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel. The service is also the streaming home to unmatched sports programming, including every CBS Sports event, from golf to football to basketball and more, plus exclusive streaming rights for major sports properties, including some of the world's biggest and most popular soccer leagues. Paramount+ also enables subscribers to stream local CBS stations live across the US in addition to the ability to stream Paramount Streaming's other live channels: CBSN for 24/7 news, CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis, and ET Live for entertainment coverage.
The Video Engineering team is responsible for supporting the video delivery and architecture of VOD and Live content streamed on Paramount+ and other Paramount brands. Our team is also responsible for running services responsible for ingesting content into video cms, encoding, packaging with DRM, delivery and content distribution of premium content to millions of users every day!
We're looking for an engineering manager who encompasses strong technical knowledge with extensive experience in crafting scalable systems, building agile teams, and strong communication skills to lead through all aspects of the development cycle. You will be an integral part of the Video Engineering team, managing, and working with other video tech engineers to craft and release products for various platforms like Desktop, OTT, Mobile. Your experience should highlight your scrappy and high energy nature to continuously improve systems while focusing teams on high value goals. In this role, you will partner with our video services product leads to develop a shared vision for the platform. Are you ready to join?
• Provide overall direction by analyzing business objectives, customer needs, developing and presenting clearly and deliberately
• Build and evaluate the team's composition, health, and systems while striving for cohesion and delivery excellence
• Build clarity and predictability through vision definition, roadmaps, planning and risk management
• Work alongside Engineers to build scalable platforms for supporting Video encoding and packaging systems.
• Work with designers, product owners and partners to define and validate visual requirements, user workflow and UI prototypes.
• Work with video engineers to maintain, evolve and modernize our existing video encoding platforms.
• Advocate the pattern of reusability by creating and publishing component libraries.
• Actively influence future innovations by following the latest and most efficient technology trends.
• Advocate culture of collaboration and partnership between video engineers.
• Lead/Manage a team and work with engineers for modernizing, scaling our video encoding/packaging platforms.
• Build out microservices for our cloud (AWS/GCP) video processing workflows.
• Manage a team for feature developments on our video encoding platform.
What you bring to the team:
• 5+ years of experience leading software projects and managing teams
• 10+ years of experience actively entrenched in code
• Expert command on video codecs, encoding and packaging in the cloud.
• Familiarity with video protocols such as RTP, RTMP, HLS, DASH.
• Familiarity with modern video codecs like H264,HEVC, AV1, VP9.
• Extensive experience managing solutions from concept to delivery
• Experience fostering cross functional team collaboration
• Experience designing and improving systems across teams
• Experience working in CI/CD environments with DevOps and SRE principles
• Passionate about video and video services
• Strong communication skills
• Excellent project management skills using industry standard tools e.g. JIRA
• BA/BS degree in a related technical field such as Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
You might also have –
• Experience with technical writing and design documentation
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or a similar, related field
Hiring Salary Range: $165,000-190,000.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is bonus eligible.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r787k8-34-239-173-144-42 in your application.