Full Time Job
Director, Legal Affairs
- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
OBB Media | Original • Big • Bold
Director, Legal Affairs
- Reports to COO and works closely with Head of Production.
- Lead production lawyer across OBB Pictures (TV/film), OBB Sound (podcast) and OBB branded (branded content)
- Handles day to day production legal work (or supervises outside production counsel as appropriate)
- Responsible for drafting and negotiating talent releases, personnel agreements with directors, line producers, showrunners, etc., music and footage licenses, equipment rentals, vendor agreements, etc.
- Must be comfortable interfacing directly with business partners and counterparties.
- Responsible for advising on and ensuring the creation of production entities, insurance, title reports, payroll agreements, etc. on all projects.
- Advises CEO and COO generally on legal issues relating to productions, unions, or other considerations that have legal and/or business impacts.
- Analyzes and interprets contracts and provides advice on potential risks or issues.
- Negotiates attachment agreements with creators, writers, etc. in order to protect the company’s interests and make collaborative projects “pitch ready”.
- Assists COO with reviewing deal terms with distributors and financiers and other miscellaneous legal matters (e.g., office lease, NDAs, service subscription licenses, new business opportunities, etc.)
- Supervises outside counsel as needed (e.g., production, fair use/clearance, labor, etc.)
- JD degree from a top-tier law school.
- Member of California State Bar.
- At least 3+ years of legal experience in television or film production.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of production and other entertainment legal concepts (e.g., clearances, copyright, trademarks).
- Leans towards unscripted but experience in scripted is a plus.
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work proactively across multiple projects in a fast-paced production environment, and has the flexibility and a willingness to take on additional projects as necessary.
- Has knowledge of union/guild matters and issues.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97b97-34-239-177-24-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Founded in 2016 by Michael D. Ratner, OBB Media is the parent company to OBB Pictures, OBB Sound, OBB Branded, OBB Cares, and OBB Studios. The multimedia production company and studio specializes in TV, digital, film, podcasts, branded content, and social good, and has amassed an audience of over 2 billion. Ratner – alongside co-founder Scott Ratner and a team of talented storytellers – produce scripted and unscripted projects across a variety of mediums. The award winning full-service production company and studio is headquartered in West Hollywood, California and has its post-production and design facilities, podcast studios, and sound stages at the state of the art OBB Studios lot in Hollywood, California