Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
As the Senior Product Manager you will own the product roadmap for NPR's portion of our Public Media-wide content management system, Grove. You will work closely with peers in design, technology, product and across our Content and Programming teams to set priorities and ensure a smart, ambitious product vision. You will lead the work to deliver a robust CMS for NPR's digital publishing experience that can align with the broader Public Media publishing strategy.
This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
• Reports directly to the Manager of Product, Content Production Technology and collaborates with all digital leadership to establish priorities and develop a strategy for NPR's Grove experience
• Owns the product plan and roadmap for NPR's implementation of Grove
• Partners with the Product Manager for the Grove Platform experience to ensure alignment between station needs and NPR feature development
• Works closely with the entire build team (design, engineering, product) to establish requirements that deliver the best possible user experience
• Aligns with other product managers for NPR's production tools to build intelligent integrations and innovative product enhancements
• Collaborates regularly with NPR's Newshub, Editorial, Programming, and Music teams to maintain expert level understanding of their publishing, distribution and audience engagement requirements and how NPR's CMS can support them
• Advocates for the user (both content creators, and the audience) to ensure thoughtful and necessary product iteration
• Aligns with best practices from the Research, Archives, and Data Strategy team
• Defines metrics and systems to track product performance. Clearly communicates performance and uses data to evaluate and prioritize roadmap
• Contributes to a culture of collaboration and inclusion across all disciplines
• Brings fresh product thinking to CMS implementation and an eagerness to try new product practices
• 5+ years experience in product management. Experience in digital media, and the news industry a plus
• Familiarity with content management systems and strategies, including storage, sharing and distribution
• Experience working on agile enabled teams
• Excellent customer experience intuition – demonstrated success in creating innovative, user-centered publishing experiences
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills – extreme comfort with data-driven decision making and performing financial and operational analysis
• Implementation proficiency – ability to translate strategic differentiators into innovative and detailed product requirements
• Excellent communication skills – demonstrated success for building buy-in for innovative and bold product vision
• Technical aptitude – ability to understand and discuss architectural concepts, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members
• Experience building and launching content management systems
• Familiarity with the Brightspot CMS
• Experience working within a network or federated system
• Fluency with the challenges facing journalism organizations in the digital media space
• Passion for Public Media's digital future
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkpy10-34-236-192-4-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.