Big Data Architect - Platform
Remote / Virtual
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
The Audience Technology group is looking for an experienced and talented Software Engineer to join the Web team, the team responsible for developing and maintaining NPR.org. Visited by millions of unique users each month, NPR.org is one of the key digital news delivery platforms for NPR. NPR.org depends upon a number core APIs and services, and is constantly evolving to support digital news delivery and meet audience demands.
A day in the life:
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design/user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what's possible and paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
Our team has a passion for Agile development and continuous improvement. We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously, regularly listen to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes, have off-site happy hours (or perhaps only virtual for now), and optionally present at conferences. Plus we have great work-life balance - seriously.
The NPR Developers Blog is a great place to learn more about our team, who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
• Write clean, efficient and reusable code based on product specifications.
• Participate in all phases of quality assurance and defect resolution.
• Aid in the development and maintenance of CI/CD pipeline implementations for the product(s) you work with.
• Knowledge share, write technical designs & participate in code reviews.
• Mentor and coach junior engineers on code quality and best practices.
• Consult with principal engineers across the department while designing comprehensive solutions.
• Provide input on system design and architecture within the feature areas and services owned by the team.
• Work closely with other software engineers, partner teams, dev ops engineers, infrastructure engineers, product designers, QA engineers, engineering managers and product managers.
• Improve team/development processes.
• Join agile ceremonies,including daily stand-ups, sprint retros, sprint reviews and more.
• Join our on-call rotation.
• Other duties as assigned
WORK LOCATION: This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
The exact level of this position will be determined based on the selected candidate's experience and skills
• Full stack web development experience
• Strong Object-Oriented programming skills
• Experience building Single Page Applications
• Fluency in or working knowledge of PHP (or alternative back-end language)
• Ability to develop software that is scalable and performant under high loads.
• Experience in developing and working with RESTful APIs that utilize cloud infrastructure such as AWS
• Familiarity with SQL and RDBMS technologies
• Experience developing cross-browser, mobile-first applications
• Familiarity with deploying and monitoring production systems
• Experience writing unit and other automated tests.
• Knowledge of web development best practices, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, deployment, rollback, testing, monitoring
• Experience with implementing accessible, responsive designs in a mobile-first way.
• Advanced experience with Amazon AWS or equivalent cloud computing platform
• Additional programming languages and frameworks you are fluent in (for example, Typescript).
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines (CodeFresh, Jenkins, GitLab, or equivalent)
• Familiarity with infrastructure as code concepts and tools (We use Terraform, Helm, Docker, and Kubernetes)
• Google Analytics experience / Google Tag Manager
• Knowledge and experience with different caching layers of caching (browser, DNS, web server, application, etc) and caching technologies/services (Redis, Elasticache, CDNs, AWS CloudFront)
• A/B testing experience
• A passion for NPR's content and/or familiarity with our digital products
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d92v8k-3-236-225-157-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.