Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Want to play a major role in the future of public radio today? Have a passion for technology, particularly open source? Care deeply about informing and serving the public? Have a knack for keeping the trains running on time and the know-how to make them run faster and more efficiently?
Each month, 129 million people engage with NPR via digital platforms – via our websites, smart speakers, podcasts, mobile applications, and more. We are looking for an experienced, talented and knowledgeable software engineer to join a team developing the back end APIs and systems, such as our next generation content distribution service, that drive our digital platforms.
A day in the life of a Software Engineer:
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design/user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what's possible, paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
Our team has a passion for Agile development and continuous improvement. We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously, regularly listen to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes, have off-site happy hours (or perhaps only virtual for now), and optionally present at conferences. Plus we have great work-life balance - seriously.
The NPR Developers Blog is a great place to learn more about our team, who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
Required Technology Skills:
• Experience working with SQL.
• Comfortable writing unit and other automated tests.
• Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred).
• Comfortable working with and conducting stage and production deployments on AWS.
• Ability to create and communicate practical technical designs.
• Experience adding and maintaining features within a large codebase.
• Familiarity with integrating with external API's / Services.
• Experience developing features on an Agile / Scrum team.
Other Required Skills:
• Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail.
• Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
• Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
• Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
Bonus Points For:
• Experience in cloud technologies such as AWS or GCP.
• Familiarity with Serverless.
• Familiarity with Salesforce.
• Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in (Python, etc.).
• Exposure to document databases, such as DynamoDB and Elasticsearch.
• Experience with Docker or Kubernetes.
• Experience working with Content Management Systems.
• Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal.
• Willingness to contribute to open-source projects.
Special Note about this Position
Due to COVID-19, all of the employees in the Digital Media division (which this position is a part of) are working remotely until at least October 2021. We've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates via video conference. We are onboarding and supporting new hires remotely at this time as well. NPR has not made any long-term decisions at this time about working remotely full-time. Therefore candidates not in the Washington, DC area should plan on relocating to that area in late 2021.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwn1jj-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.