Supervising Producer, The Limits & Louder Than A Riot
Remote / Virtual
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
It's Been a Minute is a podcast and radio show that brings original insights to the worlds of news and pop culture. Our team devours news and pop culture with an appetite matched by our devoted audience. We're looking for a Senior Producer who brings the same passion and wide-ranging curiosity to the stories shaping our culture. We're always asking questions and seeing big cultural themes in whatever we're reading and watching.
You have excellent audio production skills and sharp editorial judgment. You're a strong storyteller who brings hands-on experience with producing long-form interview shows and creating compelling stories. You will be comfortable working in a collaborative environment, juggling multiple responsibilities, and operating under tight deadlines. Experience launching a new show and working with high-profile talent is a plus.
• Participate in editorial planning of the program, including episode topic selection, story ideas, and selection/booking of guests.
• With the team, evolve the sound and focus of the show.
• Direct host during recordings, providing direction and constructive feedback.
• Help manage day-to-day production of the show
• Edit podcast episodes and other content, as needed.
• Write and edit scripts under deadline
• Act as coach and mentor for staff, assisting their productions for the program.
• Work on major, long-term projects, as well as short deadline pieces, sometimes simultaneously
• Craft engaging copy for podcast, radio show, and web
• Work closely and collegially with host, editor, producers, interns, setting an example for collaboration, respect, and mentorship across the team.
• Work effectively with a minimum of supervision, even in complicated situations.
• Ensure that all content complies with NPR's standards for accuracy and fairness.
• Assume other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years of experience producing on Dalet, Cool Edit, ProTools, or similar broadcast digital audio workstations.
• At least five years of experience in podcasting or broadcasting.
• At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making with demonstrated ability to exercise solid, independent news judgment.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated writing, editing ability, and experience in editorial decision-making
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g38qjq-18-232-52-135-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.