INTRO TO POSITION
Do you have a passion for digital consumer analytics and a thirst to apply your knowledge to media? Do you want to be challenged by your job and be surrounded by passionate, dedicated, and creative people in a mission-driven environment? Then this role is for you.
You will extract insights from complex media usage data sets, create impactful visualizations, and work with NPR teams across the organization on reporting and analyses. You'll be part of NPR's Audience Insights team of analysts and researchers, working closely with digital product teams, the newsroom, and leaders at NPR and NPR stations around the country. You have a unique blend of thoughtful data-driven curiosity and pragmatism. You know how to make data come to life and be actionable. And you love the idea of using data to make NPR (and the world) a better place.
This is a union represented role covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with DMU.
• Manage digital dashboard life cycle, including ideation, creation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and training.
• Own the primary dashboard used by the newsroom, and build key partnerships with stakeholders and internal team members to collaborate on dashboard needs.
• Migrate data summaries and queries from Google Universal Analytics to GA4.
• Lead analytics work in key areas that influence digital product development, content and distribution strategy, marketing, and revenue.
• Serve diverse needs across the organization and with NPR stations, from foundational trend reporting and insights to big questions that require deeper analyses.
• Apply statistical rigor to designing models and uncovering patterns and relationships in diverse datasets that have real impact on the business.
• Learn thoroughly the data flowing through NPR's digital platforms, manage the integrity of that data, and find opportunities for insights and recommendations that are actionable.
• Manage tagging and tracking strategies and measurement plans for NPR digital properties to ensure robust measurement tied to business goals.
• Develop KPIs and metrics to measure business performance.
• Respond to analytics questions and data requests from news, programming, and digital teams, including requests that support grants.
• Consult with teams on how they can best use analytics data for decision making and train them in using analytics tools.
• Communicate effectively with small teams and large venues through consultative collaboration, formal presentations, and engaging storytelling.
• Develop written communications to address varied styles and information needs.
• Build strong working relationships at all levels and build problem-solving partnerships with clients and colleagues, internally at NPR and also with NPR member stations.
• Support NPR's North Star goal to continue to diversify our audience and better reflect America.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be assigned, and this job description can be modified at any time.
• Experience fetching data using SQL and analytics APIs, with proven advanced SQL knowledge. BigQuery experience is a plus.
• Experience in generating analytics insights for digital products.
• Proven expertise with Google Analytics (or similar), GA4 preferred.
• Good understanding of the life cycle of data tracking within websites and/or apps.
• Ability to independently learn and understand new and complex data sources, and integrate them with other data sets to create a complete analysis.
• Experience developing and maintaining dashboards in tools such as Data Studio, Looker, Mode, Tableau.
• Data analysis skills using Excel or Google Sheets.
• Skills in visualizing data, drawing conclusions, and explaining to a business audience.
• Ability to create associated documentation that will be used by other team members to replicate or supplement in their work.
• Experience working closely with developers and data engineers to find and troubleshoot issues with dashboards, or their underlying data sources.
• Experience in the news media and/or with audio measurement.
• Salesforce analytics experience.
• Google Tag Manager experience.
• Experience working with digital product teams in an Agile environment, in particular creating and executing measurement plans for digital products, a plus.
• Skills analyzing data and building statistical models using R.
• Excellent analysis and experimental design skills with a keen sense for data gaps and inconsistencies.
• Experience managing data-driven research from project inception to client communication.
• Excellent oral, written and visual communication skills, particularly at explaining complex quantitative information to non-technical audiences.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as in a collaborative team environment.
• Self-starter with the ability to work in a constantly changing environment.
• Willing to train other team members on technical skills and collaborate with them on creating a data-driven strategy for non-technical stakeholders.
This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
This is a full time, exempt position.
Salary Range: The US based anticipated salary range for this opportunity is $89,445 - 105,000 plus benefits. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
Benefits: NPR offers access to comprehensive benefits for employees and dependents. Regular, full-time employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more per week are eligible to enroll in NPR's benefits options. Benefits include access to health and wellness, paid time off, and financial well-being. Plan options include medical, dental, vision, life/ accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, short-term disability, and voluntary retirement savings to all eligible NPR employees.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
NPR Pay Range
$89,445 - $105,000 USD
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmjyvm-3-231-217-107-42 in your application.