- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Millions of listeners depend on Morning Edition and Up First to jump start their day with the sharpest, smartest distillation of essential news, unmissable conversations and unforgettable stories. The team is looking for a host to join them: Someone who prides themselves on their journalistic acuity and an indefatigable appetite for storytelling. The role is located at NPR West in Los Angeles – a base from which the right candidate will traverse the country, engaging in those distinctive and intimate conversations and reporting projects which make Morning Edition the first destination for so many.
• Daily hosting of NPR’s flagship broadcast show ‘Morning Edition’, and its biggest podcast ‘Up First’.
• Work with Morning Edition’s managers, editors and producers to deliver the best possible mix of distinctive journalism and textured storytelling.
• Pitch, land and shape exclusive and needle-moving newsmaker interviews.
• With the Executive Producer and show managers, build an inclusive and collaborative team culture.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism/Broadcast or equivalent in work experience.
• Three years hosting a national show or podcast
• Demonstrable track record as a senior audio journalist
• Engaging and accessible presence on audio journalism platforms
• Experience of and aptitude for building a strong and inclusive team culture
• Longform story-telling/enterprise diverse reporting experience
• Ability to contribute with a digital platform lens on all the content produced by the show
• Ability to have a Social Media filter to attract and engage diverse audience
• Ability to have execute strong live interviewing skills, particularly with high-profile guests and newsmakers
• Critical Thinking
• Managing Complexity
• Managing and Building Relationships
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.