Network Operations Center Technician
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Manages technical operation of the 24/7/365 satellite systems and Network Operations Center (NOC) for daily content distribution and help desk functions. Responsible for ensuring uninterrupted system operations and successful implementation of any required fixes and/or enhancements. This position will support operations by assisting with system and process improvements, change implementation and NOC Technicians training. Responsible for employee scheduling and assigning tasks and setting goals for the operations staff.
• Manages daily technical operations of Satellite and NOC Systems, ensuring uninterrupted system operations in support of users / customers, as well as ongoing customer support via help desk. Maintains working knowledge of all technical aspects of NOC operations and systems including but not limited to: satellite uplinks, RF transmission systems, stream and file delivery systems, and telecommunication networks
• Shares responsibility for NOC Technician scheduling in a 24x7x365 newsroom environment; responds to leave requests, last minute breaking news events, and staffing emergencies, provides regular feedback, and conducts performance reviews
• Regularly embeds with NOC staff to evaluate workflow and training; provides feedback, recommends and advocates for system improvements, and provides gap analysis
• Develops and oversees the implementation of operating policies and procedures and related performance metrics for the Operations unit. Adapts procedures as required to reflect ongoing evolution of technology platforms and associated features and functions
• Identifies and resolves problems that may impact Public Radio Satellite Systems (PRSS) daily operations and/or project delivery by monitoring system performance. Able to escalate important issues to the attention of Operations Director
• Represents NOC/Operations to internal stakeholders and outside partners
• Hires, onboards, and trains new staff on processes, procedures and/or operational systems
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• Supervises 5+ union staff in full compliance with NPR/NABET collective bargaining agreement. Up to and including; preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions
• Responds to critical equipment issues, as part of an On-Call rotation (24x7x365 basis)
• Five plus years experience in a technical management or technical supervisory position required, including experience in supervising staff, managing multiple priorities, and budget administration. Experience in Union environment highly desirable
• Demonstrated hands-on systems operations / management experience in a network operations setting
• Highly experienced in the design and operation of real-time command and control applications
• Three to five years experience in direct (first-level) user support of advanced network applications and topologies
• REQUIRED SKILLS
• Demonstrable history of effective staff leadership, development, and delegation
• Experience with monitoring and operating 24X7, mission critical, broadcast-centric Internet applications, corporate intranets, and/or other custom applications
• Experience with the operational environment of broadcast network and radio stations in the US strongly preferred. Public radio or broadcasting experience a plus
• Ability to effectively communicate to department management and business sponsors the status of projects and issues as they relate to the development process
• Familiarity with emerging standards of computer audio storage and transmission
• Demonstrated ability to communicate well with others on technical and managerial subjects in both written and oral form
• Ability to identify goals, set priorities, and meet objectives with a minimum of supervision is required
• Ability to work independently, multitask, prioritize, and thrive in a 24x7 deadline driven environment
• Excellent communication skills (written, oral, documentation creation, etc.)
• Adept at identifying and solving complex technical and operational problems with poise and expertise
• Willingness to work off-hours and weekends as needed to support NPR's programs and departmental staff; Also ability to take part of an On-Call rotation (24x7x365 basis).
• Customer service focused mentality
• Knowledge of operating systems (Windows 10; UNIX) and development languages desirable (Java)
• Experience with automated broadcast playout systems
• Ability to automate manual processes via scripts
• Understanding of popular workflow tools and ticketing systems
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rekw22-35-172-136-29-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.