IT Service Desk Technician
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The Java Software Engineer is self-organized, assiduous and very passionate about tools and technologies used in software technologies. She or he partners with the development team, follows software development procedures and reports directly to the Manager of Software Development. The Engineer is enthusiastic about building software solutions to serve public radio.
• Responsible for design, development and maintenance of ContentDepot.
• Work closely with the Product Owner and peers from the development team.
• Follow software development procedures and report directly to the Manager of Software Development.
• Respond promptly and professionally to bug reported by QA.
• Write, edit, and debug software in Java.
• Ability to conduct system analysis independently to keep our systems current with changing technologies.
• Analyze system specifications and break down requirements to well defined development tasks.
• Test new code thoroughly to ensure logic is correct, and that program results are accurate
• Document code consistently throughout the development process.
• Provide assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine system problems.
• Participate in code deployments to QA, UAT and production systems.
• Identify and respond appropriately to production problems.
• Participate in daily stand-ups and other scrum activities (e.g. backlog grooming, planning, demos and retrospectives).
• Very comfortable using standard software development tools such as IDE's, Open Source Java/C development frameworks, profilers, SQL explorer, and issue/bug tracking tools.
• Experience with designing and building tiered software systems using a major relational database.
• Experience with Agile / Scrum software development practices.
• Fluent in Java.
• Fluent in relational databases, such as PosgreSQL.
• Experience in front-end web application development.
• Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred).
• Experience working in Linux/Unix platform
• Experience with Spring application framework
• Excellent oral and written English and the ability to communicate effectively.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines
• Experience with Vaadin UI framework.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.