Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable software developer to join NPR's Research, Archives & Data Strategy department (RAD). Every day, RAD colleagues work with all aspects of the storytelling cycle from conception to preservation. We are a cross-functional team of product owners, taxonomists, researchers, archivists, trainers and developers who work with just about everyone at NPR.
This position supports RAD's internal products and services, and is responsible for managing and growing their technological capabilities. Our teamwork thrives on Agile development and continuous improvement in all that we do. The right person for this role learns fast and is an independent thinker who brings their best to a collaborative team role.
As the full stack developer for these products, you would be expected to own almost all aspects of them completely, from adding new features to managing their deployment in the cloud and handling disaster recovery. This is a unique role that will give you hands-on experience with the full scope of web application development: architecting systems, API design, DevOps, back end and front end development, and you will have the agency to improve and change aspects as you see fit.
We prize exceptional storytelling and want to learn more about you, so tell us in your cover letter and resume about your:
Required Technology Skills:
• Experience creating and deploying applications/services in a cloud (AWS, Azure, homegrown, etc.)
• Experience managing NoSQL databases/search engines such as ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB, MongoDB, etc. Experience with ElasticSearch is preferred
• Experience building/maintaining APIs
• Fluency on the Unix command line in various linux-like environments
• Experience working with a version control system
• Comfortable working with and deploying to production infrastructure
• Ability to create and communicate practical technical designs
Other Required Skills:
• Commitment to crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code
• Commitment to standards-based web development and polyglot programming
• Ability to adapt to RAD's modified Agile practices which require a great degree of flexibility and communication, as well the ability to fail fast and learn fast
• Awareness of current events, as well as for the complexities of news coverage
• Ability to professionally flourish alongside and collaborate with busy colleagues in a deadline-driven environment
• Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to learn and deploy new skills on the job
• Honesty and collegiality
Bonus Points For:
• Knowledge of Music Information Retrieval concepts and technologies
• Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in (Python, TypeScript, etc.)
• Willingness to contribute to open-source projects
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnkn4m-3-236-98-69-42 in your application.