NPR seeks to hire 2 dynamic, experienced, and mission-driven Directors of Individual Giving to join NPR's growing and thriving development team. Reporting to and partnering closely with the Senior Director of Major Gifts, the Director will manage a prospect portfolio of major donors and prospects in the New York, California, or Southeast region (capable of making high 6-, and 7-figure gifts), utilize fundraising best practices, develop individual donor strategy, execute moves management (cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship) to help NPR achieve and exceed short and long-term fundraising goals,, and work across NPR and to continue building a strong culture of philanthropy for public media.
• Manage and grow an existing portfolio of around 75-150 prospects with the ability to secure high 6-8 figure gifts, including members of the NPR Foundation Board of Trustees.
• Outline donor strategies for the prospect portfolio and create a pipeline to track activity and progress.
• Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward this portfolio, using moves management tools and fundraising best practices to ensure prospects and donors are moving through the appropriate prospect cycle.
• Ability to be self-reliant and create engaging donor proposals, reports, and impact from existing templates.
• Communicate frequently with the Senior Director of Major Gifts, sharing activity and progress regularly.
• Partner with the Donor Operations team to utilize templates to create donor proposals, stewardship touches, and other donor materials as required.
• Partner with the Planned Giving team to close blended gifts as appropriate.
• Maintain and update donor information promptly in the donor database (Salesforce) to ensure accuracy and share information in real-time.
• Partner with local Member stations on any collaborative donor prospects.
• Exemplify fundraising best practices and a high level of ethics in all activities.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience preferred
WORK LOCATION: This is a remote or hybrid permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a NPR approved location.
• 5+ years of frontline fundraising or sales experience at a large, complex organization
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
• Proven track record cultivating and closing 6+ figure gifts and pledges
• Strong ability to create and execute donor strategy, apply moves management, and implement fundraising best practices
• Advanced interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to work closely and professionally with a wide range of constituents, including staff, board members, Member stations, external partners and donors/prospects
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and excellent attention to detail
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects, to set and adjust priorities, and work under pressure while maintaining composure and a sense of humor
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet concurrent deadlines, organize time and priorities, and to do so in collaboration with diverse stakeholders
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
• A self-starter is who able to be motivated in a remote setting
• Comfort with travel, conducting face to face and/or zoom meetings with NPR donors, trustees and prospective donors
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• An understanding of complex fundraising organizations or federated nonprofit models
• An understanding of media/public broadcasting organizations and the relationship between NPR and its Member Stations
The minimum annualized salary for this position is $110,000
The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
NPR Pay Range
$110,000 - $120,000 USD
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rby0zk-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.