Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy
NPR seeks an attorney with 3 to 5 years of transactional experience to support internal clients focused on technology, digital products and services, distribution of content over satellite and digital platforms, operations and facilities, and business development.
The lawyer who joins our team will help NPR embrace business opportunities while balancing risk and ensuring compliance with NPR's nonprofit status. We are looking for a versatile lawyer with superb oral and written communications skills, a commitment to client service, practical business judgment and the ability to build strong, collaborative relationships both internally and externally. An ability to manage multiple projects, set and adjust priorities, work under pressure and maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so are musts.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts with NPR's vendors, distribution partners, member stations, customers, and other organizations.
• Advising NPR and its subsidiaries on various business and legal issues, which may include (depending on the successful candidate's experience): technology and digital media, digital distribution, IT and telecom services, intellectual property, data analytics and research, privacy and data security, new ventures and strategic transactions, and mergers and acquisitions.
• Supporting the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes.
• Bachelor's degree and J.D.
• At least 3 years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal team.
• Strong experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts.
• Bar membership in good standing in the District of Columbia, or eligibility to waive into the DC Bar.
• Superb oral and written communication skills.
• An orientation toward collaboration and client service; strong client relations skills.
• Proven ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects and setting and adjusting priorities as needed, while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail and keeping the ''big picture'' in mind.
• Experience working with media, communications, and/or technology companies.
• Experience with some or all of the following: technology agreements (e.g., SaaS/software and other cloud services, digital products, IT, and telecom), agreements for distribution of content via satellite or over digital platforms, data licenses, facilities and operations agreements, non-disclosure agreements, M&A agreements and strategic transactions, and/or consulting and professional services agreements.
• Experience advising internal clients on business and legal issues at early stages of projects.
*To be considered for the position, please provide a resume and a cover letter that explains how your professional experience relates to the qualifications and anticipated responsibilities for the position.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6ne10-3-235-120-150-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.