Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
We at the Service Desk provide and support the computers and mobile equipment that NPR staff rely on. We manage the organization's computers, services, and collaborate with other teams to ensure they are operational for NPR broadcasts. As a Service Desk Technician you will work as part of the IT Operations team to support technology and NPR staff including servers, infrastructure, and broadcast tools. This role will focus on resolving end-user issues as well as assisting in building and maintaining the IT infrastructure and systems used for broadcast audio teams.
• Provide end-user support to resolve incidents for staff working in-person and remotely
• Diagnose issues with computer, mobile, and peripheral hardware
• Diagnose issues with network connectivity over ethernet, wireless, and VPN
• Troubleshoot OS and applications on PC, Mac, mobile
• Manage accounts for mail, telecom, and access controls
• Administer user and computer accounts using Active Directory, 365 administration, Okta, SCCM, and JAMF management tools
• Install, build, and maintain computers, network, telephony equipment, peripherals, and mobile devices including computers in highly available production studios
• Respond to problems and service requests within SLAs
• Provide creative troubleshooting and applications and production systems
• Participates in software, quality assurance, deployment and administration
• Assist in administration of other tools used within IT Operations
• Interface with IT and local management at supported sites
• Acting liaison for escalations on critical issues for various internal technology groups between tier 1, 2, 3, and management teams
• Assist with small and large-scale PC related projects
• Work with IT Infrastructure team to implement changes to enterprise equipment through an institutionalized change management process
• Assist in maintaining on-site data center equipment and services including: internet connectivity and network, power, phone systems, servers, storage, and other IT assets
• Document processes, procedures, instructions, and training materials for users and IT colleagues utilizing our knowledge base and intranet
• Coordinate and perform department moves
• Maintain local equipment inventory and communicate with IT Coordinator to update central asset management
• Available to work shifts as required, including nights and weekends based on 24x7 operation
• Participates in after-hours on-call rotation
• Train and mentor junior technicians
• Interface with outside clients and vendors
• Available to travel and support other sites as needed
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A+, Network+, Security+, MCP and/or Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
WORK LOCATION: This is an onsite role at our Culver City, CA office.
• Exceptional customer service/interpersonal skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to operate in a deadline driven environment and successfully prioritize multiple responsibilities
• Minimum 3 years Service Desk experience
• Strong PC and Mac hardware, application, OS, and mobile troubleshooting skills
• Experience troubleshooting server, network, and telecom issues
• Familiarity with networking concepts such as DNS, DHCP, VPN, IP networking and voice/data cabling
• Support video conferencing and AV equipment
• Must be able to work cooperatively with others as part of a team, hold own work to high standards, and inspire others to do the same
• Self-Starter, detail oriented, with strong organizational skills
Highly Desired Skills
• Knowledgeable in supporting audio editing tools such as ProTools and DAViD suite of broadcast and editing tools
• Experience with Microsoft SQL or equivalent database
• Experience administering accounts and groups in Exchange/365 Administration
• Experience administering accounts for Multi Factor Authentication
• Windows administration and patching using SCCM
• Apple administration and patching using JAMF
• VOIP phone system management
• Experience maintaining equipment in data centers
• Knowledge of Scripting and automation
• Experience with system monitoring
• Experience with Windows and Linux Server Virtualization and System Administration
• Experience with AWS (preferred) or other cloud services
• Experience with continuous integration and deployment tools like Bamboo or similar experience strongly desired
• Project Management skills
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law and any other applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro98e3-44-201-94-72-42 in your application.