The Staff Accountant supports the Corporate Accounting Department in various tasks related to monthly close process for the significant transactions of the Company, including network affiliation relationships (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, the CW); investment in TV Food Network and other equity investments; debt and related transactions and activities; monitoring of intangible assets; lease accounting under FASB ASC 842, pension and other post-retirement benefit obligations accounting; and in certain areas around preparation of GAAP financial statements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist in the monthly accounting and reconciliations for network affiliation relationships (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, the CW)
• Assist in the accounting for equity investments (equity method and cost method investments totaling $1.5 billion, primarily investment in TV Food Network)
• Assist in the accounting for debt transactions and review of trends (bonds, bank debt, etc.)
• Assist in processing of new leases, modified leases and terminated leases through the lease accounting standard FASB ASC 842 (requires communication and interaction with operational teams at the Company's TV stations in 116 markets and other business units)
• Assist in the tracking of intangible assets, related amortization, and reconciliation
• Assist in the tracking and accounting for pension and other post-retirement benefit obligations
• Other long-term assets and other long-term liabilities accounting and reconciliations
• Variance analysis on key expense accounts
• Assist in the preparation of GAAP financial statements
• Assist in the preparation of audit schedules (rollforwards/analysis) for quarterly review and annual audit.
• Special projects as assigned.
Work experience and education required for position:
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting
• CPA certificate or CPA candidate ready to take the exam in the near future
• 2-3 years of experience (public accounting preferred)
Special Skills Required:
• Adequate understanding of GAAP and SEC rules
• Public accounting experience is a plus
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proactive, self-motivated, organized, and able to handle multiple tasks
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel