Gold and Blue Nation is seeking an enthusiastic, driven Sports Producer to coordinate our robust and exclusive suite of WVU Sports television programming. Interested candidates must submit a resume, cover letter and link to demo material showcasing ability to produce engaging sports programming.
Gold and Blue Nation is a growing, flourishing brand that creates big-market content while working in the family atmosphere of a small market. You'll work in the friendly, blossoming community of Morgantown, WV, while also partnering with dedicated teammates who together possess nearly 20 years of experience in covering the Mountaineers.
We have an exceptional track record of preparing employees for promotions within our organization and in our industry as a whole. We offer excellent benefits including paid vacations, holidays and personal days, 80 hours sick leave with pay per year, health insurance plans, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, 401K Retirement Plan, paid parental leave, dental, vision, Teledoc, behavioral health services, prescription drug coverage, life insurance plans, paid short term disability, free gym membership, and many more benefit options. Compensation package will be based on experience.
Position Summary: The Sports Producer will work directly with the Executive Producer to execute Gold and Blue Nation's suite of exclusive sports programming, which airs on five Nexstar stations and a regional sports network. On WVU gamedays, our programming reaches more than 3 million TV homes.
The Sports Producer is tasked with enterprising, creating and executing a sports program from start to end. The Sports Producer will coordinate interviews, write scripts and capture and edit content for the following shows: The Neal Brown Show (football season) The Bob Huggins Show (basketball season) and The WVU Coaches Show (baseball season).
The Sports Producer is also charged with the responsibility of live producing weekly episodes of Mountaineer GameDay, the only live WVU Sports pregame show on television, airing during football and basketball season. For a live event, the Sports Producer will coordinate live shots with reporters, toggle between studio cameras and live feeds, ensure the airing of all sponsored breaks and guide talent throughout the broadcast via communication on a party line.
Additionally, the Sports Producer will capture video and photo content in the field during games and other events. That content will be used on multiple platforms, including in specialty programming, in daily reports, on social media and on GoldAndBlueNation.com.
The ideal candidate for this role must be a sports fan! The Sports Producer must possess a deep understanding of WVU Athletics and Mountaineer fans. They should be a quick decision maker, as every second counts on a live broadcast. They must be a person who thrives under pressure for extended periods of time. In the case of non-live content, the Sports Producer must possess the creative ability to curate and condense several hours of footage and content into a short format show of 30 or 60 minutes, tailoring that content to the interest of fans watching throughout Mountaineer Nation.
• Position Responsibilities
• Script, shoot and edit weekly episodes of The Neal Brown Show, The Bob Huggins Show and The WVU Coaches Show
• Live produce episodes of Mountaineer GameDay, airing Saturday mornings during football and basketball season
• Work with management to deliver a content mix that best serves Mountaineer fans
• Shoot highlights at select WVU sports events
• Shoot photos and video as needed to tell stories in more compelling ways
• Edit video using Adobe Premiere
• Edit photos using Adobe Photoshop
• Edit audio for The Gold and Blue Nation Podcast using Adobe Audition
• Manage and organize our archive of WVU sports video and photos
• Ability to perform other duties as needed
• Skill/ Experience Requirements
• This is an entry level position; professional experience as a TV sports producer is a plus, but not a requirement
• Enjoys collaborating with others and is a strong communicator
• Must be a strong and efficient script writer
• Ability to adapt and learn new things quickly
• Ability to curate, condense and prioritize content for a 30 or 60-minute sports show
• Understand social media's importance in promoting our brand and content
• Must be willing to work nights and weekends - when the Mountaineers play, we're there
• Schedule flexibility during summertime
• Knowledge of AP style
• Must possess proficiency with Adobe Premiere and Photoshop, as well as Microsoft Office software
About Us: Gold and Blue Nation, an extension of the WBOY Newsroom, is the most unique local TV sports operation in the nation. We produce daily WVU sports content on TV and the web for a group of five Nexstar Media Group stations in West Virginia and Washington, DC Our studio programming, including our weekly coach's show and award-winning pregame show, also airs on AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh. Our TV programming reaches more than 3 million TV homes in the region, while our digital reporting garnered record traffic on our website and app in 2022. Gold and Blue Nation was named Outstanding Sports Operation of the Virginias by the Virginia Associated Press Broadcasters in 2022.
You must apply online to be considered for this position. Please include a link to your online portfolio and/or writing samples in the application. A broadcast demo reel is a plus, but not a requirement, as the focus of this position is writing content for digital platforms. Please go to: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar to access all career opportunities for WBOY-TV and Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc.
WBOY-TV is an equal opportunity employer.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1jmev-3-227-251-94-42 in your application.