Senior Mobile Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
The Senior Mobile Engineer will be a key member of Nexstar Digital technology team and responsible for mobile solution architecture, development and maintenance. Reporting to the Director of Mobile Engineering, the senior engineer will collaborate with other stakeholders including Revenue Operations, Business Intelligence, Data Solutions, Product, Content and Business Development.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, passionate mobile app developer with experience in a multi-site, ad-driven, content-rich environment. This person should operate equally as effectively in both independent and team collaboration settings, and have a strong business acumen to augment their technology expertise.
The engineer will be responsible for the architecture and hands-on development efforts required to create and maintain an enterprise-wide mobile technology strategy across all our digital properties including native apps, mobile web, OTT and connected devices such as wearables, voice assistants, and digital car assistants. He/She will be responsible for building and/or integrating the solution(s) for leveraging consumer, product, social, market, competitive, and ad data to help create a compelling customer experience and monetize it to meet business needs.
• Understand the needs of the Nexstar Digital organization and, in response, architect, build/integrate, deploy and maintain mobile solutions that delivers a holistic, data-driven solution to grow audience, engagement, and revenue
• Manage a portfolio of apps across a large station group including location-specific apps for local broadcast stations and subject-specific apps, e.g. news, weather, sports, etc.
• Understand mobile app performance and analytics (traffic, engagement, monetization) and, working with your analytics partners, provide insights to stakeholders on optimizations
• Act as a technical bridge between Nexstar and its mobile solution vendors
• Recommend ways to optimize system infrastructure and apply subject matter expertise to quickly diagnose and fix technical issues hindering performance across mobile platforms
• Work with the Business Intelligence and Data Solutions to extract more out of the company's proprietary data assets, help craft new products to empower the content and revenue teams, and build a scalable data infrastructure
• Establish the short and long-term needs of the mobile platform solutions including budget, resource and system requirements, and alliance management strategies required to lead and execute on key projects to solve complex business challenges
• Prepare research, communication materials and presentations for the Nexstar Broadcast and Digital leadership
• 7+ years in system architecture, software development, and strategic management in an data and ad-driven media business
• 3+ years leading a team and managing the work of others. Knowledge or prior experience in media/entertainment or with a direct to consumer streaming service a plus
• Bachelor's degree required with a major in Computer and/or Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or Engineering. Advanced degree preferred.
• Demonstrable thought leadership in the technologies that power modern solutions for mobile web, native apps, OTT, and live streaming platforms
• Strong cultural and team leadership skills
• Capable of having strategic conversations at the executive level and tactical, technical discussions across teams
• Creative problem-solver with ability to look beyond existing business and technology limitations to identify the ''next thing''
• In depth understanding of all stages of customer acquisition, conversion, and lifetime value
• System knowledge and expertise
• React Native, Flutter, and other hybrid solution stacks and how they work with native mobile app languages
• Front-end: Angular 2+, Backbone, Vue.js, Node.js, Less, etc.
• Back-end: Python, PHP, Laravel, Django, Express.js, MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, etc.
• Video platforms including Anvato, Brightcove, JW Player, and/or others
• Digital Marketing tools for instrumentation and analytics analysis, such as Segment, Google Analytics, Pickaxe, LiveRamp, BlueConic, Datorama, and others
• System Awareness
• Ad Serving and SSP systems including Ad Manager, AdX, Rubicon, Xander and others
• Content Management Systems including WordPress and other enterprise solutions
• Data Integration tools such as SQL, Spark, Data Bricks, Airflow, Machine Learning
• Cloud and cloud management platforms including WordPress VIP, AWS, Azure, Google, Mulesoft, TIBCO, and others
• DevOps & Automation: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins etc.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.