WGN America is looking for an experienced Maintenance Engineer to support our brand new, state-of-the-art dynamic news set and a multipurpose studio/newsroom in our broadcast facility in Chicago.
The Maintenance Engineer will support our brand new, state-of-the-art dynamic news set and a multipurpose studio/newsroom in our broadcast facility in Chicago.
The successful candidate will be proficient in the following areas:
• Technical degree in engineering, technology, computer science, electronics or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to use common business software such as Microsoft Outlook/Word/Excel.
• Autocad experience a plus but not required.
• Must be able to read and use technical documentation such as signal path drawings, maintenance manuals, schematics/etc.
• Must be able to use online resources such as manufacturers' websites, Google/Wikipedia/etc. for information gathering.
• Minimum four years' experience in a technical role in a television or radio broadcasting environment.
• Must be proficient in electronic maintenance skills including the ability to solder and crimp audio, video and data connectors to bare cable. A practical test may be required during 2nd interview.
• Must be familiar with computers and IP networking to the point where you can take a brand new computer out of the box, install required software, set up networking and deploy it in the facility.
• Must understand and be able to troubleshoot a basic broadcast signal path from the source camera to the transmitter, identifying all significant pieces of equipment in between.
• Must understand and be able to troubleshoot a basic IT path from the desktop to the destination.
• Excellent broadcast troubleshooting skills are a must, and a practical test may be required during 2nd interview.
• Experience with digital transmitters, microwave equipment, and other broadcast-related equipment.
• Experience with television production equipment including video switchers, audio consoles, headset systems, wireless microphone systems, monitor multiviewers , robotic cameras, etc.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• IBEW union position. If not currently in IBEW local 1220 you will be required to join.
• Shift and weekend work will be required.
• Frequently you will be the only technical person on duty and solely responsible for troubleshooting complicated technical issues in a live television production facility. You must be able to operate effectively in such an environment.
If you're interested in a challenging and exciting opportunity to work with brand new, state-of-the-art technical infrastructure supporting a newly launched news show, this is your gig!
Position is based at the WGN-TV studios located seven miles northwest of downtown Chicago just minutes from I-94. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive salary as well as free on-site parking for employees. Do you have what it takes to be on our team? Send us your resume and take your first step towards becoming a part of the WGN America crew!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwpm8n-3-238-173-209-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.