WGN-TV is looking for an experienced broadcast engineer with a broad knowledge-base of both production worfkflow and backend systems architecture to join our project team, as we continue to construct new production facilities and update and maintain existing architecture within a busy, 24/7 facility with two fully staffed news departments and a heavy production schedule.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this position will be a leading member of the team which designs and executes projects ranging from single-system upgrades to entire studio and control room build-outs.
We are a large and growing facility, which houses both Chicago's channel 9, as well as the technical hub and main production center for NewsNation (a national cable / satellite news channel) and two other nationally syndicated terrestrial subchannel networks; AntennaTV and RewindTV.
Our group translates functional concepts into practical ideas and workflows, determines the equipment and facility requirements to realize these, transforms them into detailed design drawings and documentation, oversees (and participates in) the construction, wiring and configuration, and then provides ongoing support and troubleshooting for both operational and technical issues after go-live.
• First-hand experience in project management and systems design within a broadcast engineering context.
• Ability to multitask, prioritize, and keep a cool head under pressure in a live TV environment without sacrificing quality of work.
• Experience in dealing with vendors and manufacturers to refine concepts and resolve conflicts. Knows when to escalate issues related to 3rd party non-responsiveness or lack of appropriate resolution.
• Familiarity with basic electrical engineering concepts as they relate to audio / video / data cabling and infrastructure design.
• Knowledge of installation, configuration and operation of large-scale video routers, multiviewers, switchers, audio consoles, video ingest & playout, master control, intercom, wireless communications, video encode / decode, and other core technologies.
• Competency in quickly self-learning new or unfamiliar technologies.
• Proficiency working with AutoCAD to create technical documentation is preferred.
• Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical-communications related field is preferred.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4z4vv-18-207-157-152-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.