Producer, Digital Content
NewsNation is looking for a highly experienced journalist to manage the clearance of third-party content and advise on complicated editorial/legal issues. We are seeking a person who has worked at a senior level within an established news organization. He/she will work closely with production teams, newsgathering staff, executives from across departments, and company lawyers. The successful candidate will have a track record of making tough decisions under pressure. We're looking for someone who is passionate about the news with a proactive ''can do'' approach. This role is crucial in insulating the company from costly lawsuits and protecting brand identity.
• Establishes protocols to clear third-party content for air.
• Maintains a close working relationship with editorial and legal staff on all matters related to third-party content.
• Advises on fair use of third-party content.
• Negotiates licensing deals with third-party copyright holders.
• Establishes and manages a database to track content which has been cleared for air including information regarding licensing deals.
• Manages payments to licensees of third-party content.
• Establishes a database detailing law pertaining to third-party content and fair use.
• Ensures all necessary staff (editorial and others as relevant) are informed of clearance decisions and any related restrictions.
• Provides training to staff on third-party content and fair use issues.
• Approves the editorial integrity of third-party content.
• Provides high level guidance on complex editorial and sourcing issues, as needed.
• Advises on matters related to Standards and Practices, as needed.
• Must have at least 5 years of experience in a senior editorial role.
• Proven track record of managing complex editorial and legal issues.
• Ability to deal with field and production teams working under tight deadlines.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Highly organized and pays attention to detail.
• Strong negotiating skills with internal and external partners.
• Experience in setting up robust workflow systems.
• Ability to collaborate with staff at all levels of the company.
• Approachable, flexible but decisive.
• Demonstrates a deep understanding of journalistic values.
• Must be able to work in a 24x7 high pressure environment.
• Available at short notice to manage issues related to breaking news.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d250b5-44-192-92-49-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.