SEO Editor, Vulture
Remote / Virtual
New York Magazine obsessively chronicles the ideas, people, and cultural events that are forever reshaping our world. The New York brand includes the groundbreaking magazine New York, which is published biweekly in print, and six thriving verticals: Intelligencer, delivering national news and sharp commentary on politics, business, technology, and media; the Cut, covering the conversations that matter most to women today; Vulture, the premier destination for culture news, criticism, and service; the Strategist, dedicated to shopping the internet smartly; Curbed, covering cities and city life; and Grub Street, home to food news and authoritative restaurant criticism.
WHO WE ARE
For only the third time in its 54-year history, New York is hiring a restaurant critic. We are looking for an obsessive eater with strong and grounded opinions; a stylish writer with range, ambition and discernment; and someone motivated to be the reader's trusted guide through the city's ever-evolving food landscape. This is an opportunity to reinvent restaurant criticism for a new era of New York City dining, and to bring a distinctive voice to the magazine's award-winning food coverage.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Write a weekly restaurant review-often of an individual restaurant but also knowing when is the right time to break form
• Closely monitor restaurant trends, sniff out new spots worth covering and characters worth profiling
• Develop critical authority and guide readers through the most interesting additions to the restaurant landscape and when appropriate write sweepingly about restaurant culture
• Work with the Grub Street team to contribute story ideas and spot coverage opportunities
• Oversee and largely write an annual Where to Eat section of the print magazine
WHO YOU ARE
• A few years experience writing about food and restaurants
• A deep familiarity with New York City and its dining scene
• An enthusiasm for eating out - constantly
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We've hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU'LL WORK
This job is Hybrid. We're dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwvz12-3-238-204-167-42 in your application.
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.