Netflix is building the world's leading entertainment platform, offering great films and series that push the boundaries of storytelling and delight members of all ages and tastes across the world. Our team, Product Writing, creates the words that guide members to the content that is right for them.
We are seeking a seasoned bilingual writer/editor (Japanese/English) to join our team. The ideal candidate is a native Japanese speaker and skilled English writer who is an expert on Japanese language media and entertainment - we are particularly interested in writers who have proven proficiency in writing and editing world-class creative content in English.
On a typical day...
You'll be expected to research titles and gather information from regional, Japanese-language sources, but write clear, engaging,and accurate copy in English. You will be attending meetings that will be conducted in Japanese to gather context around titles and will be expected to share notes with the team.
You'll write title-level synopses with a special focus on local-origin content, and you'll work with a talented team of entertainment writers, editors and colleagues across the globe to build context around titles and help connect users to the content they love.
You'll apply your writing expertise and passion for Japanese film and television to cross-functional innovation projects, collaborating with other writing, analysis, translation, design and product teams. Our team is partially remote, so you'll use Slack, Google Workspace, email and other digital tools to communicate about assignments, projects and publishing deadlines.
This position is based in the Tokyo office and will demand daily communication with teams in the US and around Asia.
What Will Help You Succeed
• Deep content and cultural knowledge about Japanese media, including current trends in entertainment. Simply put, you're a superfan who's excited to write about film, anime and TV from the region - and help Netflix members around the globe get excited about it, too.
• Experience and comfort collaborating with multifaceted digital production teams.
• A love of language. Even though you're an expert with deep knowledge, you'll always write with an empathetic understanding of a broader audience in mind. You must be comfortable with rigorous editing, tight deadlines, and workshopping copy with a team of writers and editors.
• Flexibility and versatility as a writer. Whether the assignment at hand is a highbrow film, a blockbuster rom-com or an animated educational series for kids, you understand that different types of content should have copy tailored to their respective tones.
• A commitment to our team's core values, like candid feedback, passion and curiosity.
• Native fluency in Japanese, which will be critical in understanding and evaluating Japanese-language content without subtitles
• A nuanced perspective on Japanese entertainment
• 5-10 years of relevant Japanese and English writing experience which can include: consumer-focused copywriting, social marketing, short-form digital, scriptwriting, and journalism
• Exceptional ability in short-form writing and editing
• Independent and self-motivated working style
• Understanding of AP style
• Excellent organizational skills
• Outstanding communication skills
• Recently published examples of film/television criticism or culture writing
• Experience working with global brands
Please note that candidates will be asked to complete a brief (and fun) writing exercise as a part of the application process.
Netflix Japan will not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from recruitment agencies, and we will not be responsible for any related fees. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g33k24-3-230-144-31-42 in your application.