Production Support Engineer, Studio Infrastructure
Los Angeles, CA
Netflix is quickly growing into one of the world's most prolific entertainment studios in the world, with over 900 original productions slated for 2020. As Netflix creates more and more programming around the world, we are scaling to support the needs of diverse creative teams while continuing to foster industry-wide change. To support Netflix's large scale, global production slate, we are looking for a Visual Effects Operations Specialist to join our VFX Infrastructure, Technology & Operations team.
The Visual Effects Operations Specialist will be the go to knowledge expert for all tools and workfkow solutions that are developed to connect our VFX ecosystem, both internally and externally. They will help to create a feedback loop for solutions and services developed in partnership with our Title Management teams and cross-functional partners in order to provide the essential enhancements to address internal and external stakeholders needs.
The Visual Effects Operations Specialist will partner closely with our Operations Solution Manager and VFX Infrastructure, Technology & Operations Tools Specialists on go-to-market initiatives for the VFX team with a focus on UAT, workflow customization and external production support deployment. They will partner with Studio Product Rollout and Netflix Production Support (NPS) teams to provide resources and documentation to the wider VFX organization that aid in the dissemination and adoption of new VFX workflows.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for technical and operational problem solving, deep knowledge of the VFX industry, and demonstrate a high level of intellectual curiosity.
As part of the VFX Infrastructure, Technology & Operations team you will:
• Provide guidance on operationalised workflows while constantly seeking to stay current and improve that knowledge.
• Act as a primary escalation point of contact for troubleshooting technical issues raised by our partners related to VFX tools and workflows.
• Offer your knowledge, subject matter expertise and solutions to productions as they explore new techniques and technologies.
• Advise the Netflix product, design, and engineering teams as they develop and vet new tools to facilitate efficiencies and standardization in VFX production management, status reporting, review and archive initiatives.
• Standardize and document best practices for our VFX production partners.
• Constantly evaluate operational workflows with the intention of improving efficiency and effectiveness.
• Perform triage on internal workflow and technology issues so that appropriate support teams can be consulted when needed.
• Educate internal teams on technical specifications and VFX workflows.
• Develop content for public-facing support in an effort to allow partners to self-diagnose issues and proactively educate themselves on Netflix tools and systems.
• Ensure that the flow of VFX assets and production data through the Netflix delivery ecosystem is efficient, secure and optimized, with a focus on developing and advising best practices across all internal/external production tools.
• Build and leverage strong relationships with the global Netflix VFX Title Management teams and external VFX partners.
• Represent the VFX Infrastructure, Technology & Operations team at industry functions, conferences, committee meetings to discuss the successful implementation of Netflix productized solutions on our productions.
• 7+ years of production/vendor facing visual effects experience.
• Familiarity with production, post and VFX software and delivery tools such as Shotgun, Filemaker, RV, Cinesync, PIX, SyncSketch, Evercast, IBMAspera.
• The communication skills to clearly articulate and document technical concepts and explain how they impact the creative process.
• Working knowledge of various file formats used in VFX.
• Prior experience with production-side delivery in a VFX production environment.
• Working knowledge of data management and content security best practices.
• Knowledge of and relationships with technology solutions, equipment and service vendors in the VFX space.
• Knowledge of VFX archival practices.
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal guidance.
• Thrives on technical challenges and takes pride in solving them.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision; must be a self-motivated, self-starter that can initiate ideas.
• Strong ability to dive into the unknown and create clarity amid chaos.
• Experience with supporting people remotely.
• Flexible amid an ever-changing and growing environment.
• Strives in a fast paced, adaptable and ever changing environment.
• Prior experience coaching, mentoring, and teaching people how to utilize industry specific tools and software.
• Has a passion for technical quality and the ability to contextually identify technical errors within a given image or piece of audio.
• Ability to learn new technical workflows, standards, and tools quickly and easily.
• Passionate about our culture and values in the workplace.