Software Engineer (L5) - Web Member Platform
Netflix is on a mission to reimagine and revolutionize how the world consumes entertainment. Our goal is to delight and satisfy our members with great content, create a personalized member experience, and ultimately spur high-quality conversations about the service. Web Member Platform is a developer-facing team focused on integrating with internal content and playback services and improving app architecture, tooling, and observability for our member's product experience after signing into netflix.com. We work closely with the teams responsible for our member's UI and streaming video experience on netflix.com to deliver on engineering priorities and make product innovation easier by adopting paved-path technologies/solutions and aggressively reducing technical debt.
This role is remote-friendly. The team operates under a flexible hybrid work policy where some teammates are remote, and others prefer to be in the office when it's safe and convenient. To encourage team camaraderie, we encourage remote teammates to visit the office at a cadence that works best for them and the team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate inclusion and diversity. We recognize that diversity of thought and background builds strong teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully, recognizing it makes stronger teams. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
• Use your expertise and experience to identify and solve complex problems by driving new or improving existing solutions that positively impact the team's scope of work
• Deliver team-level architecture and project impact, solving problems by leading projects for a small number of adjacent peers and driving some larger cross-functional projects.
• Improve efficiency, perform strategic migrations, deprecate or decommission systems, reduce complexity, and selflessly avoid local simplifications that export complexity to other teams.
• Own decisions regarding component, feature, or system level quality, reliability, efficiency, and performance, balancing investments in each area.
• Demonstrate good judgment by applying engineering best practices (e.g., peer reviews, metrics, architecture design, documentation, farming for dissent, collecting input from the team and stakeholders, weighing tradeoffs).
• Proactively describe complex technical issues and their impact (within your scope) to stakeholders
• Eager for opportunities to learn, grow, lead by influence, develop and mentor others.
• Effectively collaborate cross-functionally (e.g., sharing/receiving cross-team feedback, navigating dissent on their approach) on a project-level basis.
• Embody Netflix values and behaviors while holding teammates and colleagues on other teams to the same standard.
• Create environments where people of different backgrounds and experiences feel valued and encouraged to contribute their talents and perspectives.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
• You have a Bachelor's degree in a STEM-related field of study or equivalent non-traditional education covering computer science fundamentals (e.g., logic, math, algorithms, data structures, and networking).
• You have 5+ years of experience professionally designing, building, and shipping software.
• You have experience producing and consuming APIs across different use cases.
• You are well-versed in designing, architecting, debugging, and creating documentation.
• You are an excellent verbal and written communicator.
• You have strong problem-solving skills with an ability to work independently.
Nice To Have
• Hands-on expertise with GraphQL using Apollo or similar, Redux, Web Vitals, or modern React development using Hooks & Context.
• Experience with Design Patterns.
• Familiar with the Backend for Frontend (BFF) pattern.
• Experience working and influencing API specifications.
• Experience fine-tuning app observability as a Site Reliability Engineer, adding instrumentation, telemetry, and tools to measure app performance and health.
• Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
• Experience working with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks.
• Experience with TLS encryption, Service Workers, and streaming video on the browser.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0008j-44-201-68-86-42 in your application.