Software Engineer (L5) - Demand Engineering
Netflix has one of the largest cloud presences in the world and the Demand Engineering team sits at the heart of the action, ensuring it works seamlessly. We designed and built the systems that quickly and reliably shift usage out of entire continents, recovering from isolated outages in minutes and ensuring that Netflix always just works. We're also responsible for efficiently and reliably providing cloud resources for the microservices powering the Netflix experience.
In order for our 220+ million global members to stream, our team provides cloud capacity when and where it is needed and optimally steers traffic to that capacity. Our work spans the hundreds of microservices that deliver the delightful customer experience that our members value.
When an infrastructure incident threatens that experience, we shift traffic in a matter of minutes, without our customers noticing. Demand Engineering creates and operates the services and systems to reactively mitigate incidents through regional evacuation. This means constantly predicting where resources will be needed throughout the day. We also utilize traffic steering and service scaling to influence the availability and latency of Netflix during normal operations.
We have a lot of fun problems to solve, a scale that makes them challenging, and a culture that gives us the freedom to pursue what is best for our members and the business. We are looking for you to join our team of amazing engineers, learning from their expertise while growing your skills and experience.
Who You Are
• You are intensely curious about how systems operate and fail at scale
• You reflect on design choices and trade-offs you have made
• You insightfully draw connections between the minutiae of implementation details and emergent system behavior
• You think freely and independently, and are ready to share your view
• You are humble and eager to learn from mistakes and you socialize the lessons learned
What You'll Do
• Take ownership of cross functional projects that impact the entirety of the Netflix cloud
• Create new solutions and see them through, from conception to production
• Write code to evolve our existing solutions, most of which are in PythonRespond to problems in production in real-time while on-call
• Oversee regional evacuation
• Use advanced data analysis to improve our capacity and failover predictions
• Shape the future of capacity management and efficiency by abstracting complexity for other engineering teams
• You have built or contributed to a variety of systems, ideally in different technologies
• Experience with microservice architectures and/or the nitty-gritty of low-level concurrency concerns
• Some experience with large scale data analytics and familiarity with data science tools
• Strong software design and development skills in modern dynamic programming languages
• Willingness to be part of an on-call rotation for regional evacuation
Nice To Have
• Experience with multi-site high availability
• Experience with dynamic scaling (AWS)
• Experience with internet-scale infrastructure
Interested To Learn More?
• What is Demand Engineering?
• Project Nimble
• Evolving Regional Evacuation
• Our Culture
• How will our team interview you?
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $90,000 - 900,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqp4n9-3-236-138-35-42 in your application.