Netflix is the world's leading Internet video entertainment service. Our business has evolved rapidly into exciting new ways of producing and delivering engaging global content for an incredibly diverse 200M+ strong customer base.
Engineering teams within Netflix work hard everyday to continue to scale and innovate our content production and membership experience. They operate complex applications, run interconnected workflows, and work with large quantities of data to accomplish business goals. Netflix Platform teams enable this product work - through Productivity, Data, Security, Compute, Network and Storage offerings. This complex suite of products has evolved for many years independently, creating widely varying user experiences and features. This fragmented user experience significantly reduces the efficiency of Netflix Engineers.
Our goal in the Platform Experience Team is to provide the simplest, most connected and cohesive user experience for the Netflix Platform. This is a greenfield effort focussed on building a Platform Portal that will federate offerings from other platform teams into a single seamless experience. Think of it as enabling a Heroku DevCenter or Google Cloud Console-like user experience to simplify the world of complex infrastructure underneath. By unifying and democratizing delivery of user experience for Platform teams, the Portal aspires to become a curated catalog of value added features for Netflix Engineers. In the long run, we will also be interweaving intelligence to provide for team engagement, support, knowledge, education, product and program management facilities, thus increasing the collective leverage for Platform.
This is an exciting space with products from industry counterparts (Backstage from Spotify, Clutch from Lyft) all showcasing the importance of the need and the architectural trends. Increasing Platform's collective ability to delight our engineers is a high impact opportunity.
We are looking for a skilled frontend engineer to join us in this effort to set and execute on a vision and strategy for a highly scalable, performant experience product. This role is remote friendly (open to US candidates)!
If you are motivated by the idea of...
• Designing and enabling a UI platform and tools that will be used by dozens of teams to deliver features simultaneously
• Thoughtfully leveraging appropriate UI technologies (micro frontends, plugins, customizations, JSON / YAML configurability, etc.) to provide for extension and customization
• Exploring pragmatic ideas for bundle optimization, performance, state management, browser code sandboxing, dynamic plugins etc.
• Being highly cross-functional and collaborating (through influence) with UI stakeholder groups.
• Spotting opportunities, coming up with ideas to solve them and experimenting via rapid iterations and informed, calculated bets
Then talk to us!
Your experience must include or demonstrate…
• Development of complex, highly usable UIs using modern frameworks like React
• Robust design and programming skills with which you create high-quality solutions
• End to end ownership and high-quality outcomes (Preferably more than one example)
• A desire to engage directly with users, understand their needs, design and validate usable solutions and derive satisfaction from end-user joy.
Other attributes that could excite us...
• Familiarity with Typescript and GraphQL
• Strong NodeJS fundamentals
• A real passion for developer productivity
• Experience with full-stack applications and backend, API design skills
• Attached more to successful outcomes than underlying technology choices
This slide deck describes the team its charter, challenges and opportunities ahead as well as your team mates. We are seeking to grow an inclusive and diverse team. If your background and experience are varied and you are strongly motivated by our space, we highly encourage you to apply.
Netflix values freedom and responsibility, among other things. You can learn more via our culture memo.