At Netflix, we are passionate about delivering the best viewing experience to our members, no matter what they watch, where they watch, or how they watch. We care about video quality, whether you are home watching Our Planet on the latest 4K HDR TV, or viewing Stranger Things over a cellular network while commuting to work. This means that we need every bit of our video streams to count and our challenges include constantly improving on our video encoding and processing algorithms and workflows in a scalable, efficient manner.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Video and Image Encoding to help us address these challenges, as well as drive strategic research in the field.
• You will be responsible for designing and prototyping encoding algorithms and software workflows that can improve the quality or reduce the bandwidth requirements of our video streams.
• You will study current workflow and codec implementations and find areas for improvement in quality and speed and take your innovations from paper to product by collaborating with other software engineers and scientists in the team.
• You will have the opportunity to conduct research on next-generation image and video coding, collaborate with academic research groups and participate in research conferences.
• You will get to work on exciting video encoding problems while knowing that you are making Netflix videos smoother, crisper and more engaging for millions of people worldwide.
• thrives in a fast-paced environment
• works effectively with cross functional teams
• constantly seeks to improve yourself and the team
• has excellent software development skills and a successful track record in Video Algorithms and Coding research or adjacent fields (Computer Graphics, Video Processing, Computer Vision, Video Quality) with publications, tech-blogs and/or contributions to products
• has the ability to see areas for improvements in existing systems, and is capable of conceiving and executing solutions for such improvements
• is excited to apply your expertise to a product that touches millions of lives everyday
• 5+ years experience in multimedia software development, with excellent debugging and problem solving skills.
• BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent. MS or PhD a plus.
• Shown proficiency in C++ or Java and object-oriented programming.
• Solid understanding of video compression and processing, including codec standards such as H.264/AVC, HEVC and VP9.
• Strong background in image and signal processing, both algorithm design and implementation (for example: image scaling, deinterlacing, frame rate conversion, artifact detection etc.).
• Experience with large-scale distributed systems and cloud-computing
• Experience with software performance optimization
• Involvement in open-source multimedia projects (such as ffmpeg, x264, avisynth, webm)
• Experience with image and video quality assessment
To learn more about our team, check out the following articles:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvk65m-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.