A culture of data-informed decision making allows Netflix to continuously evolve and improve our product, delivering more joy to our 200M+ current members, and attracting new members from around the globe. The R language is used throughout Netflix for data exploration, lightweight dashboarding, fitting and deploying predictive models, and disseminating new capabilities through R packages.
We are seeking an experienced engineer to support and build infrastructure to further enable the R community at Netflix. This new position sits on the Netflix Experimentation Platform team. The majority of R users at Netflix are in roles that focus on experimentation and causal inference, and our goal is to deliver a superior experience to our R users by bringing the infrastructure support closer to the community.
Experiences and skills that you've gained in your career
• Maintaining and deploying computing environments across local and cloud-based systems (preferably with support for R).
• Proven software development expertise with Python. Experience with C++ preferred.
• Dependency and package management across languages and frameworks (we use pip, CRAN, and conda).
• Providing interoperability across languages, particularly for data access, using tools like Reticulate.
• Docker container management.
• Developing software to enable some variety of data science workflows (experimentation, machine learning, etc).
• (Preferred or willing to learn) Supporting full lifecycle R package development, from the notebook stage to hosting on an internal CRAN instance.
No one will have all of these. If you have multiple years of experience gaining most, and are eager to grow into the rest, we want to hear from you!
• Act as an advocate for the R user community, and work with partner platform and infrastructure teams (big data, notebooks, machine learning) to integrate R with existing capabilities across the Netflix data and compute ecosystem.
• Be the informed captain on investment decisions with respect to R, and integrate and support any third party solutions. For example, should we invest in RStudio Connect?
• Develop and maintain packages that provide access to our data platform through R.
• Work with the R community to scale and share new capabilities from the notebook stage through to packages hosted on our internal CRAN instance.
• Build empathetic partnerships with R users across Netflix, and help build a stronger R community.
• Contribute to the XP Analysis stack, with a focus on enabling R users.
If any of this resonates with you, please apply. If you are not an expert in everything listed above, but have experiences you think are relevant and a hunger to learn more, please apply. If this is the role for you but you've a unique personal or career history that LinkedIn doesn't fully capture, we want to hear from you.
Netflix offers amazing colleagues and a rapid pace of innovation. We embrace diversity and inclusion, and we are always on the lookout for stunning colleagues who bring new perspectives. Our unique culture emphasizes Freedom & Responsibility, and permeates our way of work - hopefully it resonates with you as much as it does with us.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rezv21-3-215-177-171-42 in your application.