- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
Senior Software Engineer (Japanese Speaking)
The Company and Product Strategy:
Instant streaming is a core part of Netflix's strategy for the future. Our first product to support instant streaming to TVs was launched in May 2008 and has since expanded to all relevant connected screens in the home, including TV's, streaming sticks, and operator set-top boxes. Our reach and ease-of-use is enhanced through strong partnerships with many of the world's most innovative partners such as Sony, Panasonic, J:COM, and KDDI. In this role, you will help ensure we continue our strong innovation and partnership with our biggest partners in Japan.
About the role:
In order to help our partners add the Netflix instant streaming service quickly to their device, we work very closely with these engineering teams to quickly overcome any and all challenges. We are looking to add to our team in APAC that currently works with local partners on integration, certification and in field phases of a product. You'll apply your experience in software development to a wide variety of technical challenges to achieve the goal of helping our Japanese partners bring their products to market on time with the highest quality. The functionality of our platform includes streaming and playback, dynamic UI, payments, security and partner-specific adaptation for new types of devices. Willingness to travel to Netflix's Los Gatos, CA headquarters to interface with the internal engineering teams, as well as periodic travel to Japan to develop and maintain strong ties with our partners.
Our culture is a bit unique, and we tend to live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix at https://jobs.netflix.com/life-at-netflix
Required skills and attributes:
• You are fluent in Japanese with excellent business reading and intermediate business writing skills. You should also have intermediate spoken and written English skills.
• You are an experienced and current C/C++ programmer.
• 5+ years of relevant experience integrating applications into complex embedded platforms.
• You know what's important when releasing software to partners – ideally, you have worked as a software developer producing as well as consuming an SDK (Software Development Kit).
• You're comfortable with proactive outward communication and technical leadership.
• You enjoy working side by side with partners on tough and ambiguous problems. Experience working with partners is a plus.
• Ideally, you have a deep background in one or more of the following: embedded system development, Linux system-level programming, audio/video playback, embedded graphics, or UI programming.
• Experience with Android application and Android framework development is a plus.
• 2-3 years experience as a team leader or an engineering manager is a plus.
• Periodic travel to Los Gatos, California and regional offices required