Netflix's recommendation systems are really good at finding the right content for our members. But as our catalog grows and our member base becomes more diverse, we need more than content recommendations. With large, diverse catalogs and content from across the globe, members need help choosing the right show/movie for that moment. What can we say about an unfamiliar title that will pique their interest?
We provide this context to members in various ways. Using personalization to find the best artwork and video trailers for a member is one way. We are also working on optimizing text metadata - does this member care about actor/director information or the plot? Do they want to know which other titles are like this one? Do they want to know if they can watch it in one weekend?
Here is a high level overview of what we do.
As a member of this team, you will:
• Work with machine learning experts to design offline compute systems that leverage continuous explore/exploit models to generate personalized asset and metadata recommendations - images, video trailers, synopses, ratings, similars info, etc
• Design, implement and support very high throughput, low latency systems that deliver personalized assets in real time. The latency of these systems directly impacts the responsiveness and availability of the Netflix app and the member experience
• Participate in system design to ensure our systems scale with the evolving product complexity, innovative A/B tests and our global member base
• Have the opportunity to work directly on member facing features and A/B tests(''See that artwork? We're testing auto generated images!'')
• Work with cross functional teams that include UI and backend engineering teams, product managers, product creative teams, data engineers and data scientists
What we are looking from in you:
• Strong Java skills and knowledge
• Experience leading projects or tracks of projects
• Passion for and ability to define and drive engineering initiatives to improve scalability, reliability and quality
• Strong debugging and problem solving skills
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to thrive in a highly cross-functional environment
Nice to have:
• Experience operating services in AWS or other cloud providers
• Experience with explore/exploit or personalization systems
• A culture that is unique and built on the idea of Freedom and Responsibility. Our culture is all about context over control, minimal process and loosely coupled but highly aligned teams. Read more about our values here.
• We foster an environment where your work and passion for the product can move the business in a meaningful way.
• As a company, we continue to thrill more than 200 million subscribers across the globe, on 1900 device types whose streaming accounts for more than a third of the internet's downstream traffic during peak hours in North America!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkp1b8-35-172-223-251-42 in your application.