Senior Researcher - Social Consumer Insights (Brand & Editorial)
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Coupled with our passion for entertainment, the Consumer Insights team helps bring the consumer's voice into crucial decision-making.
The Social Consumer Insights team seeks to learn from consumers through social media and the public conversations & interactions they have about their favorite shows, movies, and brands.
Do you love entertainment? Passionate about online culture? Treat online research like investigative journalism? Maybe you run that super-niche meme forum? If so, keep reading!
We are looking for a senior researcher with deep experience in online editorial and publishing. This role will focus on partnering with our Brand & Editorial marketing teams, who seek to build affinity and engagement through a series of audience and genre editorial channels (e.g. Netflix Family, Strong Black Lead, Netflix Is A Joke, etc.).
In this role, you will be using social media conversation & audience analysis to translate findings into insights and formulating actionable recommendations for our editorial & brand strategies. The Brand & Editorial teams are global by design, and while this is a LA-based role, the remit of the role will also be global.
We seek an individual who sees themselves in the following descriptions:
• Can flourish in our unique company culture
• Has a strong background in Brand and/or Editorial focussed social media insights:
• Is passionate about culture and how it lives on social media - someone who is constantly on top of social and cultural trends and who is generally aware of ''what the internet is talking about today''
• Thinks 'audience first' and has hands-on experience building segmentations with digital data
• Has strategic experience in applying social insights into straightforward narrative and smart recommendations
• Has a strong understanding of what makes a brand successful today - what makes a brand's social strategy engaging and compelling, what values are consumers looking for from brands, and what does that look like on social?
• Has strong experience in designing and leading research methodologies in the social space, along with strong expertise across social listening and audience analysis tools
• Ideally has worked in entertainment and media research and is passionate about content. If you haven't worked in entertainment, tell us why your experience works in this role
• Approaches social insights as investigative journalism:
• You are skeptical of insight until you thoroughly investigate the underlying data
• You treat tentpole moments (new series announcements, trailers, series launch) as ''breaking news'' and quickly identify and socialize valid insights
• You are a serial hypothesis tester - instead of looking for specific answers, you like to explore the social web to uncover behaviors and validates those behaviors with social data
• Is a standout internal consultant & team member:
• Goes beyond cookie-cutter analysis and collaborates with internal partners to provide bespoke solutions
• Understands how to turn consumer insights from ''he said she said'' into actionable findings that move the business forward
• Looks for big themes - connects the dots and surface learnings from past research to apply today
• Is a phenomenal communicator, written and verbal - can write concise, thoughtful summaries on short timelines for executive audiences
• Grasps overall business objectives and larger strategic context of any work that is done
• Is aware of the nuances of social data and closely partners with other researchers on the consumer insights team to tell a rounded story
• Is a self-starter but loves working in a team and wants to avoid a silo environment
• 5+ years hands-on social media insights experience at a global/regional brand, agency consulting firm, network/studio or media publisher
• Deep experience with different social listening & audience segmentation tools, including Brandwatch, GlobalWebIndex, CrowdTangle, Affinio, Helixa, Audiense etc)
• A social media native - consumes social media as a user and studies it as a researcher
• Experience presenting / socializing insights at all levels of an organization (and esp. to non-researchers)
• Familiarity with other research methodologies (e.g., surveys, focus groups, etc.) a plus