Hires for this role can also work in Tokyo, Japan.
Netflix is responsible for a significant percentage of Internet traffic at peak times, and we are working collaboratively with Internet Service Providers to ensure that our great content is delivered in a manner that is both highly efficient and cost effective. Today, we deliver 100% of Netflix content from Open Connect, our purpose-built content delivery network. We need great network professionals to help us manage the remarkable challenge and opportunity that this scale represents.
The Open Connect team's mission is to provide a high quality video streaming experience for our customers at a continually declining cost. The Open Connect Network Engineering group is focused on engineering and operation of the Open Connect Global backbone and egress connectivity to partners that is integral to our streaming service and also underpins the networking needs of our employees and content creators worldwide.
The Open Connect Network Engineering group is recruiting for a Senior Network Engineer. We are looking for the following characteristics in candidates.
A highly communicative individual who will:
• Interact with team members to operate, maintain and upgrade the Open Connect network infrastructure deployed in 80+ locations worldwide
• Work cross-functionally with internal teams and vendors to manage our continuous growth around the globe, with a strong focus on maintaining the high level of Quality of Experience (QoE) for Netflix's users. This would include the Deployment, Provisioning and ISP Partner Engagement teams with regards ongoing egress and network capacity needs.
• Collaborate with partners, carriers, data center providers and our hardware vendors to manage and troubleshoot the network (circuits, cross connects and trouble case management)
• Contribute and collaborate with members of our Network Architecture team to implement and support complex network designs while providing operational considerations and constructive feedback
• Contribute and collaborate with members of our Network Tools team to develop a high level of automation to increase accuracy and decrease timeframes for day-to-day activities
• Have strong written and verbal skills for documentation and collaboration
• When in doubt, and after exhausting self help resources available, exercise curiosity by leveraging the opinions of colleagues by seeking additional context or clarification as described within the Netflix Culture memo
Your skills and experience should include:
• Relevant professional experience
• Expert knowledge of large scale multi-vendor wide area networks (Arista, Cisco, Juniper)
• Expert knowledge of IP routing, particularly BGP and IS-IS
• Experience with the internet ecosystem, including the concepts of interconnection, peering, and transit
• Experience with MPLS, QoS and DWDM concepts and technologies
• Familiarity in network automation with experience using Python
This position includes rotating on-call assignment and occasional travel (quarterly offsites / conferences)