The Messaging Engineering team at Netflix creates & delivers multi-channel messaging experiences for members and partners in the Netflix Product and Studio ecosystems. The group owns the platform, applications, channels, and messages that enables Netflix to communicate with its customers and partners.
The Engagement Messaging team is an experimentation focused product development team. We experiment and A/B test messaging experiences across the member lifecycle to drive engagement and retention with timely, personalized, and delightful member experiences.
Our outbound messaging channels include Emails, Push notifications, Messaging Apps, and the browser, to name a few. The team also experiments with and owns the In-App notification center and other messages shown to members across all devices. This team engages directly with our more than 200 million members in over 190 countries directly - by sending >100B messages per year through communication channels both outside and inside of the Netflix apps.
You can read more details on some of the team's work on the Messaging Engineering @ Netflix site.
As a Senior Messaging UI Engineer on the Engagement Messaging team, you will lead cross-functional projects that span across multiple business initiatives all focused on increasing member engagement with the Netflix service. You will partner with various cross-functional partners including UX, Content Design (copy), Product, Engineering, Localization, Data Science, and more. You will be a Messaging advocate as you work closely with many stakeholders from different parts of the business and guide them to build the best Messaging experiences.
You will ideate, plan, track, and build customer-facing email, push, and in-app experiences using HTML, React, TypeScript, SASS/LESS, Java, and Groovy. You will also test your work thoroughly, using engineering best practices. You will monitor and dive into issues via tools like ElasticSearch/Kibana, command-line tools, and remote debugging. You will learn to focus on incrementality and identify the data needed to measure whether your test was successful or not, while partnering with data scientists to perform the analysis.
You will help shape and drive the direction of the Product and Messaging Experiences. Your passionate ideas are encouraged and expected. As a product innovation team, we value challenges to existing assumptions. Come join us and help shape and evolve our culture.
You will be successful in this role if:
• You are passionate about product development and you enjoy the independence of managing projects on your own
• You have experience in building consumer facing products and apps
• You own the experiences you build, beyond just your code. You have a passion for quality.
• You are extremely collaborative and enjoy working on highly visible cross-functional projects
• You can make wise choices and take smart risks when dealing with ambiguous requirements
• You are proactive and can move fast or pivot to meet the changing needs of the product
• You enjoy problem solving and are willing to learn how to use big-data queries, debuggers, and command line tools
Technical Skills needed for the role:
• Deep knowledge and experience in Email technologies (HTML, CSS, SASS/LESS)
• Comfortable using common development tools and environments (e.g Git, VSCode, Yarn/NPM, IntelliJ, Gradle)
Nice to Have:
• Experience with AMP email or web development
• Experience with Web client development or mobile client development for iOS and Android platforms
• Experience with A/B Testing
• Experience with JVM languages such as Java, Groovy, Scala, and Kotlin
• Experience working on Messaging
Netflix has a unique culture that values employee freedom and responsibility. Apply to talk to us to see if this product development role on a small, impactful, and collaborative team is right for you.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjvm6b-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.