Senior Software Engineer, Partner Engineering
The Studio & Corporate Infrastructure team designs, builds and operates compute, storage, network and creative infrastructures at a global scale that enable our internal users, creatives, production teams and content partners to do amazing things at Netflix. The responsibilities and demands on our teams are growing and we are looking for Media Systems Engineers to be part of the buildout of our media infrastructure and work with creatives, production support teams and partners around the world to deliver amazing experiences for our creative teams.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Media Systems Engineer that brings a broad set of technical skills and achievements, a development and automation focused mindset to solving problems, and an impressive history of unique career and life experiences to bring diverse views to our team as we expand our infrastructure to support of our creatives and creative spaces around the world. All the more important, we are looking for someone who can also speak to the nuances of production, post production, and the facilities in which content is created specific to the EMEA region.
Be sure to review our culture page and long-term view to learn more about the unique Netflix culture and the opportunity to be part of our team.
In this role you will...
• As the first member of the Studio & Corporate Infrastructure team in the EMEA region, you will work with team members and peers across multiple time zones to design, deploy and operate creative facing infrastructure platforms globally
• Collaborate cross-functionally with business leaders, creative teams and peer engineering groups to implement the infrastructure required to support our vision and strategy
• Provide support for our planning and deployment teams to enable stability, predictability and scale in our continued growth
• Develop best practice design guidelines for Netflix production and post production environments worldwide, creating world-class, reference sound spaces, online and offline edit space, review spaces, etc.
• Work with internal and external partners and hardware vendors to design and develop a roadmap for the evolution of our creative infrastructure strategy
• Collaborate with members of the larger Studio & Corporate Infrastructure team to implement and support far-reaching strategic efforts, provide constructive feedback, and foster a collaborative environment
• Work with internal teams and vendors to manage our growth around the globe, with a strong focus on maintaining the high level of availability for our users
• Actively engage with internal teams to develop frameworks and tools to drive extensive automation of the media infrastructure environment
• At least 10 years experience in systems engineering experience; demonstrable technical experience in systems design, product ownership, and iterative design and deployment
• Experience designing and deploying large scale systems, multi-vendor platforms and globally distributed infrastructure
• Strong knowledge (or even specialization) in high performance computing; file, block, and storage technologies; the transmission and transport of video signals; the integration of all of these technologies to deliver a cohesive infrastructure platform
• Strong knowledge (or even specialization) in the design of production and post production creative spaces, including - but not limited to - color and conform suites, edit suites, mix suites, ADR booths and control rooms, QC bays, review spaces, etc.
• Knowledge of AV digital formats such as SMPTE-2110, AES-67, Dante, etc.
• Develop technical documentation, diagrams and templates and be rigorous in maintaining accuracy and relevancy of developed materials
• High level of understanding and examples of executing projects with automation; our scale is going to require a lot of it, we grow to use less manual intervention and work with both internal and open-source tools to automate day-to-day infrastructure support activities
• Able to self-organize, collaborate and manage efforts with peers and teams across responsibility areas, languages, geography and time zones; acts as an informed captain and make data-backed decisions on behalf of Netflix
• Be a self-starter, curious and not afraid to ask questions and challenge the way things are done today; farm for dissent and seek alternative views to both problems and your solutions
• See a problem or opportunity, take ownership and act on it independently; develop methods and habits to be an informed and motivated product owner
• Inform, educate and develop team members, peers and customers to grow expertise, develop alignment and encourage collaboration
• Able to present your ideas concisely and in an informative manner to both large and small audiences is an important skill for your role as a technical leader; comfortable working in an environment that encourages creative thinking and critical feedback of ideas
• Know when to take ownership and when to escalate issues; our teams work to cover a global footprint and having self, situational and organizational awareness to know when you should take the lead on an issue and when you should bring in reinforcements to help tackle the problem at hand is critical
• Escalation on-call rotation
• Occasional travel (quarterly offsites, conferences)
• Experience working in media and studio environments is very much desired
• Strongly preferred that you are able to write functional and maintainable code, most notably hands-on experience with Python; able to articulate and demonstrate how to use software development techniques and methods to deliver new platforms and solutions