Our goal in Platform Experience is to provide the simplest, most connected experience possible for Engineers at Netflix as they work with the Netflix Platform. We are looking for a skilled API / backend engineer who can design and operate an API aggregation edge layer for all of Netflix Platform.
Netflix is the world's leading Internet video entertainment service. Our business has evolved rapidly into exciting new ways of producing and delivering engaging global content for an incredibly diverse 200M+ strong audience. Engineering teams within Netflix work hard everyday to continue to scale and innovate our content production and membership experience. They operate complex applications, run interconnected workflows, and work with large quantities of data to accomplish business goals. Netflix Platform teams enable this product work - through Productivity, Data, Security, Compute, Network and Storage offerings. This complex suite of Platform products has evolved for many years independently, creating widely varying user experiences and features. There is a fragmented Platform domain model as well as a complex set of API systems, reducing the efficiency of Netflix Engineers while simultaneously creating a scaling bottleneck for the Netflix Platform.
A schematized, discoverable and federated API aggregation layer is a crucial element in providing a unified Platform Experience. Imagine AWS Console or Google Cloud Console enabled by federating tools and APIs from dozens of Platform teams into a single seamless product.
To achieve this, you will need to
• Model complex platform domains by thinking about key entities and their relationships
• Creating and operating highly performant API gateways that simplify access patterns across distributed systems
• Creating or leveraging tools to provide great API DevEx to the community of developers who will federate into a ''Platform API''
Your experience must include or demonstrate…
• Breadth and depth across transport and application protocols such as GraphQL, gRPC and REST
• Strong distributed systems experience, preferably in Java
• Expertise modeling domains in a continuously evolving landscape
• End to end ownership and high-quality outcomes (preferably illustrating more than one example).
• A desire to engage directly with users, understand their needs, designing and validating usable solutions
Other attributes that will excite us...
• API experience in an infrastructural landscape
• Strong resiliency, observability and troubleshooting mindset
• Attachment more to successful outcomes than underlying technology choices
• Influencing others through relationships, context setting and enablement
If this sounds like you, then talk to us! You should be able to look far ahead in this journey, yet be able to take effective incremental approaches via informed bets.
This slide deck describes the team, its charter, challenges and opportunities, team members, FAQs etc. We are seeking to grow an inclusive and diverse team. If your background and experience are varied and you are strongly motivated by our space, we highly encourage you to apply.
Netflix values freedom and responsibility, among other things. You can learn more via our culture memo.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv1y3j-3-238-173-209-42 in your application.