VP Of Engineering For Content Acquisition and Finance Systems
Los Gatos, CA
About the Team
With over 200 million members in over 190 countries and a billion hours of streaming each month, Netflix is the world's leading online entertainment company. Netflix continues to shape the future of entertainment by using data to create amazing user experience for members and help them discover a rapidly growing catalog of movie and TV content.
The Consolidated Logging team is responsible for building an end-to-end platform that collects and processes real-time and historical user behavior data. Our platform consists of a mix of client libraries, batch and real-time data processing, microservices, and tooling. Our team's mission is to help Netflix learn from this untapped potential of user behavior data quickly and at scale. We work with one of the largest and richest data at Netflix, and our platform makes it easier for our customers to use this data in a meaningful way. We collaborate with many teams across Netflix. For example, we help understand the user engagement with Netflix apps, the apps performance, improve ML recommendation and personalization algorithms, drive new product feature experimentation, power analytics dashboards, or understand the efficiency of content production. We are a diverse team of backend, data, and frontend engineers who love building things together and inspire each other to be better versions of themselves.
What You'll Do
• Given the increasing scope and impact of our platform, we are looking for a Data Engineer with passion for data analytics and product. As a part of the team you will:
• Acquire deep business context on different domains and build scalable and flexible data solutions that impact many stakeholders.
• Design and evolve data models that enable the fast pace product innovation at Netflix.
• Be a steward and an advocate for data quality and excellence of our platform.
• Build close relationships with our partners to understand the value our platform can bring and how we can make it better.
• Build and evolve distributed real-time and batch data processing pipelines at Netflix scale.
Who You Are:
• You have several of the characteristics/skills listed below and self-drive to quickly learn in areas of less familiarity. We believe the experience in your years is more important than your years of experience.
• You enjoy a high level of autonomy in managing cross-functional engineering projects. We enjoy a culture of Freedom & Responsibility.
• Have experience building production data pipelines and strong knowledge of SQL (Knowledge of Spark, Flink or Hive/Hadoop is helpful). Have hands-on experience with schema design and data modeling.
• You have programming proficiency in Python, or Scala/Java. You have a software engineering mindset and strive to write elegant, maintainable code. You may even be a software engineer with a focus or passion for data-driven solutions.
• You have strong SQL skills and passion for analytics: you can dive deep into complex data sets and find answers you are looking for.
• You have excellent communication in sharing context to effectively collaborate with analytical partners, domain experts and other consumers of your work, other engineers or product managers. We like to collaborate across many teams and functions.
• Ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. Awareness to recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes. We are humbly confident in ourselves and our work.
You can learn more about Netflix's unique culture of Freedom and Responsibility, that presents an opportunity to work with some of the best and the brightest, allowing you to make a difference to our business in a meaningful way.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.